Recognizing numbers

How did you teach your children the numbers 11. 12. 13 and so on....Anytime my dd see's 2 numbers together she says it's one and two when it's 12. Anyone have any tips as to how to help her? Or is it just time LOL

MrsPilat

Asked by MrsPilat at 6:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in

• It's a more complex concept to recognize numbers containing multiple digits than it is to recognize the individual digits that make up the number. Similarly, kids will recognize individual letters before they recognize words. I'd keep correcting her, but don't worry if it takes a while.
    Anonymous

• How old id your DD? She just might need more time.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 7:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Younger kids seem to do that very same thing. Keep working on it and eventually she will get it. It comes with time.
    Anonymous

• She's young...2 but I was just wondering if there was a way to help her out...I know she'll get it eventually LOL..thank you mamas xoxo
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 11:16 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• if she knows not just the names of the numbers but understands the QUANTITY of numbers under ten, she's doing well. until she's old enough to grasp the concept of place value, I would think that trying to understand what makes one followed by two twelve would just be confusing.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 11:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I don't think you really need to worry , she's young she's only 2, then she's doing good. my sister in law's little girl is 2 and she only counts up to 7. So your daughter is ahead of the game.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:20 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Thanks for all the responses ...i'm not worried in the least, it absolutely amazes me that she actually can count! I was just wondering if there was a way to make it easier for her, I guess it's just time : )
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 4:41 PM on Jan. 14, 2010