Formula question PLEASE help!

The hospital put my baby on soy because Im lactose intolerant and was on soy as a baby. They did it as a precaution... My baby never got a chance with the regular formula. Well I thought all formula was the same and got him parents choice soy. It gave him a stuffy nose so his doc put him on Enfamil Prosobee. My Baby REFUSES to take it! Well our WIC only offers Enfamil Prosobee... No other soy! They do offer enfamil lipil, enfamil prosobee, and enfamil gentlease... I dont know if my baby is lactose intolerant or not so im afraid to get the regular formula... But he refuses the Prosobee... Should I try the Gentlease? IDK what to do.. Im a new mommy and confused! what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would try the Gentlease and see what happens.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• any chance that you can relactate?

Answer by rkoloms at 6:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• If you aren't going to breastfeed, get him allergy tested. Regular milk formula is way better than soy formula.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 7:11 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I would also try the gentleease! I was on soy as a baby too, and I put my baby on Similac Sensitive which is not soy and she never had a problem. She also did well on Enfamil Lipil but we had to switch her becuase WIC up here wouldn't cover Efamil and regular Similac made her gassy. Only way to really know is by trying, and every baby is different! He might do great with regular instead of the soy too! GL!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 7:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• The little one won't take the Enfamil because Parent's Choice soy formula has more corn syrup solids and sugar in it. Those are two of the 4 base ingredents for all soy formulas. There is actually very little soy in most of them. Enfamil is the least sugar and corn syrup heavy brand when it comes to soy. You're best bet is going to be to try the Lipil formula first. Put just a little on your baby's binky and watch for anything the suggests allergic reactions. Gentalease is a formula meant to help with gassy babys. If when you put the formula on the bink your child starts crying more or scratching at they're mouth with they're hands then take the binky at once and check for any change in the color of your child's mouth. If it all looks clear then go ahead and try a drink or two of the formula. Watch for any reactions and if you still look clear then try a bottle.
    jrsjrb

Answer by jrsjrb at 7:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Give the regular formula a try and closely monitor your baby's reaction (more gas, hiccups, discomfort, difference in poops etc etc). The Gentlease seems to help lots of babies, so if WIC covers it, give it a try. My son had to take Nutramigen due to allergies - it costs $$$, but WIC does cover it, I believe. Good luck, and congratulations, new mama!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 7:45 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Oh! And as a side note - like the previous poster stated - if you can relactate, some babies do fine with breastmilik as long as the mama avoids dairy (which you do). Just a thought! :-)
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 7:46 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Relactate and give baby what baby truly wants and needs. If you need any help please let us know and we will get you there without much effort. Good Luck!!!

Anonymous

• Just an FYI, soy is not advisable for males as the estrogen in it has feminizing qualities to it, research it, there isn't tons out there, but our peditrician told us that in Europe (I think), soy formula actually has a warning on it!!! Good luck
    Anonymous