how do i ween my son off of formula onto real food?

my son is ll months old and i know around his first birthday you supposed to ween them off of formula and onto more food and juices. We have been doing the food and juices for a while, but he still wants his formula. For one, it seems to be the only thing that will put him to sleep and the only thing that seems to fill him up. I dont want to wait untill his first birthday to cut him off, what should i do?

prego_deigo

Asked by prego_deigo at 6:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Food & Drink

• He does need to be on formula till the first birthday...

Just slowly replace with cow's milk after the first birthday. One feeding a week.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:24 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Juices are completely unnecessary, and may be harmful. You want your child to develop the healthy habit of drinking water.

Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 6:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I added an ounce of cows milk (Whole) to his formula until he was a year and then switched to whole milk only. My son did it fine.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• i do gerber apple juice only! so i think its ok. and so do you think i should start putting in an oz of milk then switch totally at a yr? itll still be ok to give him milk before bed right? it really helps him sleep and hes been sleeping through the nite since he was 3 wks old and im not trying to mess that up now
    prego_deigo

Answer by prego_deigo at 6:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I just switched my son from formula to milk at 8 months old. Had no problem. Limit his juice intake, he doesn't need it. According to my sons doctor after a year old they should have 8 ounces of milk a day, 4-6 ounces of juice and the rest should be water. They can get their fat, calcium and other nutrients from other sources of food.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:04 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• the only time my kids get juice is if they r constipated(then they get pear juice). Juice really is not that good for them
    Anonymous

• When my son was 13 months old I weaned him from the breast bc I was pregnant by giving him warm milk in a sippy cup with a soft tip. He wouldn't drink it cold.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 12:03 AM on Jan. 13, 2010