What would you do?

My SO and I have been in an on and off relationship for about 15 years. Recently (the last 5 years) we have been together. We have two kids together, a house and a car together. He has told me that we will get married "one day". Why fix it if it isn't broke? Is what he would say, and for a long time I agreed with him. Now that our oldest is getting ready to go into school, I want to have the same last name as my child. It is just easier. I already feel married, but I am kinda old fashioned and want him to actually ask me. Is that weird? Or since he doesn't seem to want to take the iniciative (sp) should I ask him? WWYD?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• I'd have asked him years ago. But that's me.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Totally not wierd at all. I am the same exact way! My SO and I aren't married but I obviously want the same last name, it's so annoying when we are at the doctors...we are engaged and now I am the one putting a hold on our wedding LOL for $ reasons though. Since the second I got pregnant I wanted to be married BUT it took dh over a year and half to propose and I actually am so happy it did bc he did it when he was ready NOT bc I was forcing him. Does he know how you feel about that?? I would just mention exactly what you said in this question to him. If he loves you he'll do the right thing : )
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 6:24 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Really what is the difference. As long as he has you down for dealth benifits then you are ok, if he doesnt then you are not protected if something should ever happen to him. A piece of paper is all a marriage is now days.
    Anonymous

• I would sit and talk with him about why it's important to me. If you are planning on spending the rest of your lives together as a family, he needs to understand how it would change your relationship for the better. Be open and honest with one another. :) Best of luck, darling!
    kristysimpson

Answer by kristysimpson at 6:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Sure. Sit down with him and talk about the options. It sounds like to me though that he doesn't want to take that step. If you've been together for fifteen years now and it hasn't happened yet .. It probably won't. Talk to him, share your feelings, and listen to his. Go from there.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I wouldn't ask him anything I would TELL him when and where to be for the wedding. 15 years and 2 children is long enough to wait

Answer by admckenzie at 7:45 PM on Jan. 12, 2010