Fearing the pain of labor?

I'm 28 weeks pregnant with our first baby--we're just now entering our third trimester. For the past couple weeks I've been terrified of how bad it's going to hurt to push out a big baby through that little place.

My husband and I have a great deal of emergency medical training due to our professions in fire, medic, and education. Even with this knowledge, I'm still scared of how bad it's going to hurt. (We're not taking birthing classes due to our extensive training backgrounds.)

I know it will be well worth it, but can anyone else comisserate? How are you dealing with it?

kristysimpson

Asked by kristysimpson at 6:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes of course it's a HUGE fear but think about.....TONS of women (not myself haha) do this with out any drugs AT ALL and still continue to have babies.
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 6:26 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• The pain of labor is nothing compared to the after effects of an epidural.
    Almost as bad is three hours a night of screaming by a colicky baby, months of inadequate sleep, living with a teenager, and the other joys of parenting

Answer by rkoloms at 6:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I was scared too. I had an epidural and was fine! Of course I was in pain after cause I ripped but thanks to the meds I didnt even feel the rip and it wasnt an intolerable pain afterwards. I had my little man 2 weeks ago... My friend just gave birth to her son on the 9th and did it with no drugs and it was her first as well. Didnt hurt her at all!
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 6:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I've given birth to three kids. TRUST ME, the severe kidney infection that I had hurt much worse. I'm not saying it doesn't hurt, but you're so busy pushing and thinking about getting it done that you really don't think much about the pain.
    Don't be ashamed to ask for an epidural either. Best thing to happen to pregnant women. Having a kid with an epidural does NOT make you any less of a woman or mother. I did it because I don't like pain and felt it is stupid to suffer when you don't have to.
    TinaN64

Answer by TinaN64 at 6:32 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Hey don't be afraid. Personally I think people make a big deal out of it. I had a mild back pain (something like needles) but would have never guess I was in labor until my cousin convinced me to go get check and the nurse told me they had to get me into a room because the baby would come at anytime and after that because of all the excitement adrenaline was rushing through my body which prevented me from feeling too much pain. I won't lie it did hurt for 5 mins (the 3 push it took to get him out) but other than that the pain was bearable. Good luck
    yhalissa

Answer by yhalissa at 6:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I would personally take birthing classes regardless of your background. You will most likely learn something new, meet new people, as well as it's a good bonding experience.
    Anonymous

• i never took birthing classes and if you are going to a good hospital and have good nurses and doctors they will help you along the way. I don't think any class can prepare you for something that you have to experience on your own terms. i know personally i was dealing with some pretty bad contractions and then realized, why in the hell am i dealing with this, so i called for the epidural and from there it was cake. pain can not kill you, you grip the bed rails and take it. lol but my actual labor was only about 40 mins. So, there is no reason to be scared. You will do fine and if you are anything like me, you worry more than you need to then find out that it's not so bad. Good luck.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 6:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• yes it hurts.

but uually labour comes on slowly and you have time and ability to get accustomed to the pain as it grows. at least mine were like that.

I'd recommend baby classes too. they do a world of good for helping you with your fears and worries.

just remember to stay calm! the more worked up and worried you are the worst it feels.

and GOOD LUCK!
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Oh gosh the fears I had with all my kids, nobody can get you ready for the pain your going to go through, if you choose drugs they help tremendesley, but no matter what as soon as that baby pops out you literley forget everything the pain discomfort the only thing that is on your mind is that bay.
    Anyways, I never took the classes, I watched "The baby story" on TLC every morning they are all reruns but they helped me a lot it was my every morning thing that I did and it helped me go without thinking about birth and all that comes with it.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 6:50 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• About 2 months before I had my baby I had a kidney stone. everyone told me labor would be a walk in the park compared to that, and they were right.

You know with your medical background that a person's body will only let them feel so much pain before it starts shutting down the nerves that feel it....I reached that point with my kidney stone, and as horrible as that pain was, it wasn't as half as horrible as my imagination.

What I'm saying is, I think people are capable of imaging much more pain than their bodies are actually capable of feeling.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 7:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2010