education/careers

What do you do when your 36 and haven't finished high school and the last grade you were in was the 10th grade but before the tenth you were in the 5th grade and then your parents were suppose to home teach but never did? I'm scared I will be a nobody for the rest of my life I failed in the tenth grade math is thee worst subject in the whole world,I also have a hard time withholding information. I need hope from anyone who's been in this situation and can tell me thiers hope. I would love a job that can sutain me and my 4 kids,I would love to go to school but am scared I will be too stupid to learn anything to get into college. I dont have my high school diploma or a ged. I also dont know where to turn to for help financially so I can go to school.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:45 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in

• A friend of mine didn't finish high school. She got her GED after she was divorced and went to college. She graduated with honors and is now very successful. She was in her mid to late 30s when she was in college. It's not too late for you. GL!
    Anonymous

• You start by contacting a community college. Take a GED prep class, then take the test, then start taking college classes. Every step of the way, be very proud of yourself!!!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:59 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• It is never too late to get your high school diploma or ged. I have loved ones who didn't graduate and have kids. They are both currently finishing school through study-at-home courses. Once they complete a book or lesson, they take a test for that subject via online or mail. As for college, you can start here: http://www.rankinfoundation.org/ for the Jeannette Rankin Women's Scholarship Fund specifically for women 35 and older. There are many federal grants and scholarships out there. Google search or you can even go to a community college near you and speak to a financial aid counselor to provide you with a lot of information from getting a HS diploma or GED to getting into college using grants/scholarships. Be strong. You can do this. =) If Nola Ochs (age 95) can do it...you can too! http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/LifeStages/story?id=3167970

If you need any help, I'd be more than happy to help. Just message me. =)
    AneesasMom

Answer by AneesasMom at 7:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• go to your public library and that should be able to tell you where you can go to get your GED, then you can go to your local community college for whatever your intrested in persueing. Good luck!
    Texan1993

Answer by Texan1993 at 3:30 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Several previous posters mentioned community colleges. You are not the only person in your position. Many adults do not have diplomas, especially in more rural areas where homeschooling is more prevalent. Contact your community college and speak to an academic advisor. They can tell you about GED prep courses, how you can prepare at home, and the steps needed to take the test. Not to mention, this will also give you a relationship with the community college so you have someone "in your corner" so to speak. They can really help you with trying to figure out a career path, finding ways to pay, child care (if needed), etc. People often overlook community colleges, but they really are a great place not only for career pursuits, but personal enrichment courses as well.
    jendechant

Answer by jendechant at 8:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I don't think its ever too late to do anything. I always believed people should do what they want to do when they are ready and when they can :D
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:13 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• first start with your GED. You may qualify for grants depending on your income...especially if you are a single mom? Thats a start and from there you can start classes. Their are advisors at the community college that can give you info on different career paths. Don't lose hope...have faith in yourself! I can relate to feeling as if I may never finish myself! I am in college now:)
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 10:16 PM on Jan. 20, 2010