Breastfeeding is "not" best says new study

A controversial new study has concluded that, contrary to the view of many experts, breast is not necessarily best for children in the first months of life.

Professor Sven Carlsen, who led the Norwegian team, declared: 'Baby formula is as good as breast milk.'

The largest study on breastfeeding was conducted in Belarus and involved more than 17,000 women and children who were monitored for six years.

It 'cut the legs out from underneath most of the assertions that breastfeeding has health benefits' said the scientists.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• ecodani- you can subscribe to the journal where this research has been medically and peer-reviewed.

Anonymous

• Anonymous

• The article doesn't give info on how the study was conducted or info to read any published and peer reviewed research. Sounds like some prof wanted to stir the pot with his unsubstantiated theory.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:39 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• One study vs hundreds... let's see... hmmmm......

I am the first one to roll my eyes when people get preachy about breastfeeding, but it definitely has benefits. Are there those that tend exaggerate, yes. But that doesn't mean breast milk isn't best for babies and moms.

Anyway, until they start charging me for my own breastmilk I am not buying formula :)

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 7:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Actually the largest study done in the world proved the same thing. That study is also mentioned in this current study. I'd say following children from birth to 6 years old blows all the other studies out of the water.

Anonymous

• i don't care either way. i hate the arguements from some moms about breastfeeding is the only way and if you don't then you are a bad mom. I breastfed because i wanted to give it a shot, and hell the milk is free. but i also formula fed about 4 months after birth. glad to see an article about this. although i am sure it won't deter the breastfeeding armies from trying to push it down everyone elses throat.
    Anonymous

• That is such crap. I believe that breast is best but a child does receive proper nutrition from formula just not the antibodies that mom can offer.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:45 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Can you tell me the name of the journal where the study was published? I've tried to find a paper or anything related and all I can find is a study on PCOS and breast feeding that this guy did.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• who cares!! feed the baby what you want
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Formula can never give the antibodies that breastmilk does to a child, breastfeeding is also about much more than nutrition, its also about development and its better for the mothers health, breastfeeding actually lowers the chances of the mother of getting breastcancer.
    He even states that breastfed babies are healthier but according to him that is because of the better circumstances in the womb? makes no sense at all, basically formula feeding moms dont take proper care of themselves during pregnacy? This study actually proves nothing at all except for the huge ego of this doctor.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 7:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2010