Why would be 6 year old all of a sudden start having frequent accidents?

I am in desperate need of help. My 6 year old daughter has been potty trained since she was 2. The last week she is having constant accidents, #1 and #2. We have tried ignoring it, talking with her about it, and punishing her. She has lost all toy and tv priviledges and is still doing it. It's so bad I've kept her home from school the 2 days cause I'm afraid she's gonna do this at school. Could someone please offer advice on why the sudden change and what can I do to stop it??? Thanks so much in advance!

redtang912

Asked by redtang912 at 7:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would take her to the doctor. The most common reason for this is that she has had something happen that is worrying her or something bad could have happened to her. I hate to scare you but you need to get this checked out. Has she been acting out in other ways????
    Anonymous

• I have two guesses, a bladder infection or UTI (something related to that)

OR she has been abused possibly sexually. NOT to scare you, I just thought you needed to know that this is a HUGE sign of sexual abuse.

She needs to go to the Dr. Have the first thing checked out completely. Then go from there. I hope she is ok ;)
    Anonymous

• Three main causes...medical condition, stress and inappropriate contact. Make an appt. now. Something is going.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:59 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I agree... No matter what the cause, it is not a good sign.
    itsjaimiehere

Answer by itsjaimiehere at 8:13 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• By the way... Don't punish her for it.... PLEASE. Trust me, it'll just make it worse... She'll shut down and probably won't tell you anything.
    itsjaimiehere

Answer by itsjaimiehere at 8:14 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• She has been home with me for the several days becasue of all the snow, and the only time she is around anyone other than me is at school!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 8:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• stress would be my guess. i wouldn't punish her for it either. I might have her help clean up the accidents if you think it is a stubborn thing going on. any other changes going on at home...or school? You could ask the teacher.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:32 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Don't assume school is a safe place. My brother was molested by the custodian at our school. He didn't tell until he was over 30. He just got really rebelious. A real hellion as a kid.
    Anonymous

• There could be something making her strike out behaviorally, young children have little they can control and often use their bodies such as hitting, biting, tantrums, or as in your case peeing, pooping to name a few behavioral issues. I would definitely get her checked out and talk to her pediatrician. Since this is out of the norm for her there are many things it could be. Don’t be alarmed, but the doctor will look into sexual abuse and can hopefully tell by examining her... like somebody else pointed out it can happen anywhere, by anybody. If she wasn’t then that’s one thing you can check off your list, the doctor will check for infection, hopefully will do a blood run-up and see what’s going on. It could be stress over something in her life whether it’s school or home or some body making her want to react in this way. I hope she turns around for you, hang in there and good luck!
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 10:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• My 5 yr old previously potty-trained DD started having accidents and it turned out she was SEVERELY constipated (like 5-7 days backed up!) My older DD has had the same issue since she was 18 months old but showed very obvious constipation symptoms (extremely large, hard BM's, not going for 10+ days, lack of appetite, etc). My middle one didn't show obvious signs, her SX's were leg pain and bed-wetting. Seriously, it was the same bowel disease as my first DD we just didn't know it till a doc saw an old xray and took another to compare! And YES, they can have #2 accidents being constipated. PM me for more info on any of this.
    Don't punish her, she can't help it. I wouldn't even ask her for help cleaning it up--she is only 6. Don't make a big deal out of it at all. Make sure she is going to the restroom on a routine and don't get mad or ridicule her. Just get her cleaned up and go on with your day. It won't last forever
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 12:54 AM on Jan. 13, 2010