Can you recommend an easy homemade bread recipe for someone who's NEVER made bread before?

=)

Is yeast expensive? Can you buy it anywhere? I'm looking into making bread at home, since I hear it's most cost-effective and healthier than buying it.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 7:43 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Yeast is cheap. Go get the Artisan Bread in 5 minutes book from the library. Once you get in the habit you'll never buy it again.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Thank you :D I brought it up to my husband a few months ago, but he was all "Nawww it's just too much work", so I didn't bring it up again. But it seems like we have all the ingredients except for the yeast. I'll make sure to pick up the library when I get a chance =)
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I have given up on making my own dough LOL I have started buying premade frozen dough that you thaw and let rise then bake :D
    Anonymous

• I buy the Hodgson's Mill (I think that's what it is, close to it anyway) whole wheat flour at Wal-Mart (well, it's cheaper at another store but I know WM carries it too) and I follow the recipe on the bag. Yeast is less than 50 cents a packet, some brands are 4/$1. Jars are cheaper yet when you divide it out.
    Anonymous

• I use an easy recipe and it always rises superbly. The crust has a crunchy/chewy texture and the inside is soft and tasty. You can mix/match the flours. My family prefers it to store bread.

Rice Bread:

* 1/2 cup cooked white or brown rice
    * 1 1/2 Tbsp. (1 Tbsp. + 1 1/2 tsp.) vegetable or canola oil

Put these two ingredients in a 2 cup measuring cup and add enough warm water to make 1 1/2 c. Dump into bread machine pan or mixing bowl.
    Add:

* 2 Tbsp. sugar
    * 2 tsp. salt
    * 3 cups all purpose flour (I've used all purpose or whole wheat, even a mix of both)
    * 1 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast.

If using a bread machine, set to desired setting and start. I prefer to use the dough cycle then take the dough out and form a loaf, let rise in my bread pan and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
    If using a stand mixer, add the flour last, cup by cup. If mixing by hand I will also add th
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:02 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• (continued)
    If mixing by hand I will also add the flour at the last and then knead for 6 to 8 minutes before letting it rise, covered, in a greased bowl. Form into a loaf, let rise in bread pan and bake 350 for 30 minutes. Remove from pan immediately.

I've also used this recipe to make dough for burger buns. Divide dough into 12 parts and form into balls, place in greased 9 x 13 pan to let rise. Bake at 350 for 20 to 22 minutes.
    michiganmom116

• it is not necessarily less expensive. If you buy yeast get the 1 # package at Costco and a 50 Lb bag of flour. That;s how I do it. It can be time consuming but tasty. There are white whole grain flours to use too but the hi protein flours made special for bread are high gluten an the best to use. google brad baking. there is TONS of info out there.

chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:08 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• http://www.grouprecipes.com/73371/arabic-bread-loaf-or-hamburger-buns.html

I use the bread recipe from this web site,It`s easy and very good for rolls,or buns,or loaf bread.

Ingredients
    6 cups flour
    .5 litre of warm water (same as a 16.9 FL oz bottled water)
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1/4 cup brown sugar (can be dark brown if you like it)
    2 tsp salt
    2 tbsp yeast
    3 eggs

Directions
    Mix everything except the water in a large mixing bowl.
    When everything is thoroughly mixed, add the warm water and knead the dough until it springs back and your hand print disappears.
    If its to sticky fold in some flour a little at a time until its not sticky anymore.
    Let it rise for 1 hour.
    Preheat oven to 350 on warm days - 325 on cooler days.
    Bake until golden brown about 25 minutes but watch closely as not to burn.
    Make your rounds or loaves as you like.
    You
    valtoppen

Answer by valtoppen at 5:30 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• For your first try, if you don't have a bread machine (I picked one up on freecycle, free is my favorite price), try a batter bread, first.
    1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
    2 tablespoons shortening
    1 1/4 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
    2 tablespoons white sugar
    2 teaspoons salt
    3 cups sifted all-purpose flour (I use 1/2 whole wheat pastry flour)
    1 tablespoon butter, melted
    Mix together shortening, sugar, salt, yeast, and 1 1/5 cups flour. Add warm water and beat by hand about 300 strokes, or 3 minutes, with an electric mixer. Add remaining flour, scraping bowl often, and mix all together until smooth.
    Cover with a clean cloth and let rise until doubled in volume.
    Stir dough down gently, and spoon into a lightly greased 9x5 inch loaf pan (the batter should be sticky). Pat down with floured hands to help shape.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 8:25 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Cover again, and let rise for about 30 minutes.
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
    Bake for about 45 minutes. Place on a cooling rack, and brush top with melted butter.