Inverted Nipples. Yes, weird, I know.

My doctor told me that I have inverted nipples (not severe, but enough it would make breastfeeding very difficult). I've been taking his advice with rubbing them with a lotioned towel, as well as using Avent "Nipplettes." (They're kind of little suction cups that pull 'em out. Not too comfy, but they seemed to help a tad.) Now that I'm in the 3rd trimester, I can't use the Nipplettes anymore. Any advice on how to help them come out more? Or how to make breastfeeding easier (or possible) when our baby arrives?
I would really like to breastfeed due to all the health benefits it provides for baby and me.
Thanks.

kristysimpson

Asked by kristysimpson at 8:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A nursing shield. Just for the first few feedings until you get used to it. It's so funny how male doctors assume breastfeeding is hard with inverted nipples. They truly don't know everything. Contact a lactation specialist or your local La Leche League for help with nursing issues.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:41 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• definatley agree with the above poster i didn thave inverted nipples but still had problems. they are amazing. fairly cheap at babies r us or ask for one in the hospital and they will give you one. it doesnt hurt and makes breast feeding super easy.
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 8:43 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Um. Shields are for WOUNDED nipples. Brast SHELLS. You can wear them right now. Medela makes them.

Please, no more rubbing the nipples with a towel. They will do NOTHING for the inversion and WILL create soreness. That's like rubbing with a brillo pad. Don't do it.

Be warned. Your doc is generally not the best advisor for breastfeeding. Sad but true.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:01 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Hmm... Thanks. I will have to look into the Medela Breast Shells. He said the towel would help toughen them up for breastfeeding so that they didn't become so sore... I agree with the brillo pad thing though. It's definately not the most comfortable thing to do. What do breast shells do?
    kristysimpson

Answer by kristysimpson at 9:12 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I have extreme inverted nipples. I orderd breast shells from Le Leche League. With my first child I was unsuccessful. Mainly, I think, because I was so tense. My second child breastfed like a champ. He would have continued forever if I hadn't weaned him at 2.
    Anonymous

• Okay I never toughened up my nipples even though several docs told me to and I DIDN'T have inverted nipples. My first was tongue tied and had a terrible latch at first until we got that diagnosed and taken care of and I was in some pain, but not a lot. My SIL has inverted nipples and did not know before hand and had a terrible time nursing her first, but she used the breast shells during her last couple months of pregnancy with the second and had no problem nursing him. Keep the little suction cup thing and use it to pull your nipple out just before a feeding if you are having problems after the baby is born. Try to stay away from the shields as they often cause more problems then they fix. I would be contacting a local LLL group or finding a good lactation consultant now. OBs and other docs are not real good places to be getting advice on nursing.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• well, i also liked the shells as a couple of the other ladies suggested. it's kind of like a dome thing with a hole in the middle. it pushes down on the boob around the nipple and then the nipple pokes through the hole. you wear them under your bra and take it off before you bf. it really helped me alot with my first and i only had to wear them a couple of days (idk if they're supposed to permanently fix the problem, but they did for me lol). gl, and you can contact the lactation consultant at the hospital you're gonna deliver at. maybe even look into taking a bf class.... i did with my first and it was great.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:21 PM on Jan. 12, 2010