Any mention of public assistance will get you crucified!

why are there so many women on here ready to cut somones throat out for being on public assistance?? for every mom on here that actually needs it there are 10 more telling her to get off her ass and get to work, or that she shouldnt have any more kids. but i am on it and i work and i go to school and i stay home and take care of my babies! im engaged, i have a car, and a house, but i get busted on bc i dont work a well paying job or i dont get enough hours at work to pay all my bills and buy enough food for my house. what happened to the days when ppl wanted to help other ppl instead of worrying about what their tax money is paying for....i get taxes taken out too n evem when i wasnt on assistance (i didnt need it until i had my second) i wasnt crying about feeding the needy family down the street! get a life ppl and stop being so heartless (of course not all of you are like that!!!) your opinion please.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• I receive public assistance and really need it at the current time, sounds like you do to. I don't know why ppl have to bash others for collecting it's only a temp situation that we are in and we need help!! You gotta love the ppl on here that act like their lives are sooo perfect and nothing could be wrong with them!!
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 8:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• ditto! & Amen sister! :D

Anonymous

• some people are just cruel and hurtful i miss when i was little and nobody thought twice about giving a helping hand im on state assistance and its hard to listen to the comments people make i wish there were more people out there that were kinder to people with low incomes
    haydns_mommy

Answer by haydns_mommy at 8:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• i totally agree with everyone i think it is a shame that some ppl just cant get their heads outta their butts long enough to realize that not everyone on pa is not a crook eating their hard earned bucks! mu hubby and i have 2 babies, after the first we were both working and not on any assistance what so ever but after i had my second, i had no choice but to stay at home bc we couldnt afford daycare and his job would pay for all the bills.but after a few months we had some very hard times and i took it upon myself to apply for help. but with his salary we wouldnt qualify for anything, and his job doesnt even offer insurance, so yes i fibbed about him not being in my home so that we could qualify for medicaid and food stamps for the kids. do i feel bad for it? no bc i know we would be on our asses if we didnt have it right nowand its only until we get the baby in school so i can work again!
    Anonymous

• I am on social security disability, and as a result, my income is very limited. I receive food stamps and have medicaid (thank God, because my medications cost about $500 per month). I also receive WIC, even though I only use 1/2 of the food checks I get.

I am very thankful for the help I receive, and I know that one day soon, I'll be able to go back to work and not need as much assistance. But until that day, I'm not going to feel bad that I need help. When I was able to work, MY tax dollars (in the form of FICA taxes) made it possible for me to have disability insurance. MY tax dollars help other food stamp and WIC recipients. I think of it as "paying it forward". I felt proud to be able to help out a fellow American.

It's sad that some women are vindictive and mean, and think they know what it means to be on assistance. They don't.
    Anonymous

• I agree there are some heartless people on here about it...BUT for me I have kind of an aggrivation because there are sooooo many people that take advantage of the system, ( I know not everyone), and then those who bust their asses and just need a little help from time to time can't get it. I am a single mom, I work full time, I go to school, and I can't get SQUAT. It makes me mad when I see people abuse the system and purposly not hold jobs to stay on assitance ect.
    I think assistance is great to help those who NEED it and that no one should be ashamed to take the help when you need it, but I do not think it should be something that someone gets on and plans to stay on, at some point we should all hold our own and let what we have been getting to those who now in the shoes we used to be in....
    again...my opinion because I know so many people who do abuse the system
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:20 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• "It makes me mad when I see people abuse the system and purposly not hold jobs to stay on assitance ect."

In NY State, if a person quits a job, there is an automatic 45 day wait before welfare funds are approved. So it would make no sense that a person would quit a job so they could get welfare. Also, welfare benefits are not much. When I got welfare, I only go enough to pay the rent and utilities, and $50 on top of that to pay for toiletries, etc. There was no money for fun stuff.

I'm sorry that you have been denied benefits, but it's not fair for you to take out your frustration on other moms who ARE approved. It's not their fault that you were denied. That's between you and the state where you live.

Very few people take advantage of the system I think the number is somewhere near 4%. The numbers are GREATLY exaggerated by bitter women on cafemom. Don't become one of those bitter women.
    Anonymous

• that is not he case in all states- and I am not hateful to other moms for being on assistance at all - like I said for those who need it is great, I happen to have a fam member that does the purposly not hold a job to keep assistace thing - but again I am not in anyway saying that all people on assitance are like this, but it only takes a few bad apples to give a bad rep
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:50 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I agree with you. I am on PA (food stamps and medicaid) while I am working part time because I have not found any fulltime jobs that pay enough for me to support my child. I am overqualified for fast food or retail. I am going to school fulltime in hopes that by the time I get my degree jobs will be more plentiful. I have also paid FICA takes since I was 15 and I am 38, so I feel fine using the PA when I need it and I feel that it is ok for people to use the benefits when they need them. Like someone else said, pay it forward.

Those that complain about people using PA are the ones that when they need it and get denied will be on here bitching about it and how unfair it is that they didn't get the benefits.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• just as making over 100k will cause some to lash out call you rich and tell you they deserve some of what you have. Can't win I guess.lol
    Anonymous