What can I possibly do for my son's horrible flakes?!

My son has really bad flaky hair. He's always had it. Its almost like really bad cradle cap, but he's 7 years old. I've tried every kind of shampoo, even T-Gel stuff that is tar! He has terrible dry skin as well, but I recently got some Lubriderm lotion and its been working well. I can't take him to the dermatologist right now...DH is in Iraq- our insurance changed & I have no info on it. I really would like to figure something out myself. If anyone has tried something and it worked, please let me know!

Katlyne120806

Asked by Katlyne120806 at 8:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Hi they have the apricot oil at CVS if you don't have that call Walgreens, the apple cider is for greasy dandruff, poor baby, I bet it stung!! PM me if you want any more help! :)
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:49 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Use olive oil or apricot oil, have him sleep in a towel as not to ruin the sheets then shampoo in the AM, I have found Burts Bees apricot to do the best job, and a little goes a LONG way,,,,,BTW when you massage it in to his scalp brush it really well to loosen the flakes,,, as long as this is DRY skin it will help! 3 treatments in a row and then once a week should be enough--I am a hairstylist and this has worked for many of my haircut kids!!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I was just about to call a hair stylist! I figured if anyone knew they would. I've been thinking of using Burt's Bees. I tried baby oil once, and blah, that stuff took forever to get out, and it didn't help the flakes. Sounds like a good idea! Thank you!
    Katlyne120806

Answer by Katlyne120806 at 9:02 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Run olive oil through his hair, concentrated on the scalp. Let it sit for around 10 min, then run through with a fine toothed comb. The will rid the cradle cap. Then just keep conditioner on his scalp.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 9:41 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I checked out the Burt's Bees products at Walmart here, but there were no oils. :( I read on another site to try apple cider vinegar. I put it in a spray bottle with water and applied it all over his head. Where it dripped onto his skin, his skin turned bright red! So he's in the bath now. I swear he's gonna be mad at me! Trying to get rid of dry skin and causing his skin to burn from vinegar and water!
    Katlyne120806

Answer by Katlyne120806 at 11:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Get a shampoo with tea tree oil (the Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle is fantastic). Try eliminating dairy for a few weeks; this may help, too.
    Also, massage his scalp with coconut or olive oil

Answer by rkoloms at 8:13 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• i would eliminate dairy for a few weeks, this includes glasses of milk, milk in cereal, butter, cheese, ice cream and chocolate, and many dry snacks too...read your labels. do this with the natural oils that were suggested by pps. if dairy elimination doesn't help, try gluten elimination.
    good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:32 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Walmart was just closer, but I will definitely look at Walgreens when I go to town. I have to find something for him.
    Katlyne120806

Answer by Katlyne120806 at 10:54 PM on Jan. 13, 2010