another breastfeeding question?

i added a question earlier and still need a little more advice. My baby is 4months and has never had anything but the breast. She has been nursing very well and all of a sudden has had a poor latch and suck. I do think this is from teething now but im worried if it will ever work itself out. I LOVE breastfeeding and dont want to give it up or do bottles. I offer her the breast many times and she doesnt seem to want it or may only suck lightly for a minute or two at most. She is having about 8 wet diapers and 3 poopy diapers a day. However this just started. Should i worry?? IS this an indication to wean. I so desperatly want to keep nursing. I just feel so rejected by her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Her dipe count is DANDY...and this is TEMPORARY.

Teething tablets will help.

No, this has NOTHING to do with weaning. NOTHING at all.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I read in a baby book that around 4 months babies learn that the boob is not a part of them so they are like, I can start - I can stop. It could be she has just realized she has some control.
    My daughter is almost 5 months and recently when she is eating she has started to stop and look all around and basically just mess around instead of eating. She'll eat good for a couple of minutes and then start messing around. So I stop the nursing session. I figure when she's hungry, she'll eat and she does. She also pees like a champ and poops fairly regularly (not everyday) so I don't worry about it.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Since you say you do think it is teething now then do not worry. Her diaper count is fine. Just continue to offer and try teething tablets before you nurse or let her chew on something for a little just before. My second one loved chewing wet wash clothes that I froze. I am still nursing that one at 29 months old BTW! Your child is NOT weaning so please do not stop nursing her. When they start to notice the world around them they tend to be easily distracted while nursing too. If that gets really bad then try nursing in a dark quiet room at least once a day to get one good session in.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• talk to a lactation consultant. my daugter developed a latch problem about 3 and a half months, she started making clicking sounds because she would stick her tongue out, the lactaton ci\onsultant showed me a bunch of ways to make her latch right.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 9:43 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• My son started doing the same thing around 4 months. Actually almost the same situation as Christina described. He would always eat non-stop for a good 20 minutes on both sides without even pulling off once, but once he hit like 4 months, he will suck for like 2 seconds and pull of and look around, then come back and do the same thing over and over again. He'll grab at his toes or babble and wiggle around. It sometimes takes me an hour to get him to eat a reasonable amount. I was afraid he was weaning too but I read that babies become much more aware of their surroundings at this age so they get distracted easily and just want to look around to make sure they aren't missing anything while they're nursing.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:11 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• i agree with ash..... they're just becoming busy bodies.... just be patient, it'll work out
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:16 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• She could also be in between growth spurts and just not be as hungry. If she is peeing and pooping, I would worry about it. And she could be playing and experimenting with her enviroment as she becomes more and more aware of it. Like "What happens if I do this. Or this. Or this." or "Will it still be there everytime I let go?" Try playing with her shortly before she is due to feed. Then she may be ready to settle down and eat.
    phantomphan

Answer by phantomphan at 10:32 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• i EBF and my 10 week old son just recently jumped from 30 minute feedings to max 10 minute feedings. he has all the nice appropriate diapers so i know he's eating alot (besides my breasts being much lighter). it could be that she has figured out how to be more efficient in her feeding. it scared the living daylights outta me cause it happened at the same time that my ds was in the hospital with a virus. when my hubby fed him BM in a bottle, he downed 6 oz in 10 minutes.
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 10:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Four month olds are nosey. Mine is the same way. She taffy pulls my nipple if she's not interested in nursing and she doesn't take as long. She likes to have snacks rather than very long meals during the day. She nurses better at night or early morning. Her latch also sucks when she's tired or being nosey about something.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• You have gotten some great advice. This is normal for her age and it will pass

Answer by rkoloms at 8:12 AM on Jan. 13, 2010