My 21 month old daughter has to get her tonsils and adenoids removed (and ear tubes)...we live in NY, can anyone recommend a great surgeon or share their experiences?

It must be done at a NY hospital.

supastaa

Asked by supastaa at 9:01 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Health

• where in NY are you
    Anonymous

• Ohhhh the adnoids surgery. My son had that done with his ear tubes. Expect horribly rancid breath for like a week or so afterwards while it heals over. I love my son dearly, but OMSG my eyes watered when he spoke to me or even just breathed in my direction. The ear tubes and adnoids will be about 20-30 minutes in surgery not sure on the tonsils. It's all very routine surgery with minimal complications. Consult an ENT doctor who should be able to do the procedure. Your insurance or pediatrician can get you a referral. Good luck!!
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:11 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I can't suggest a surgeon there but I can tell you it was the best thing we ever did for our granddaughter. Before the surgery her ears were constantly infected, she constantly had strep throat and brochitis, Just really sick...ALL the time. The P.E. tubes..no big deal..keep water out of the ears. The adnoid removal, as another poster said cause really nasty breath while it is healing. The tonsils...become more challenging. It hurts to swallow so they try to avoid it. The problem is you HAVE to make them drink or they will get dehydrated quickly. This may sound odd...but in nursing school we were taught that swallowing after throat surgery actually reduces pain. Why? Because the pain is not only from the raw tissue..it is from spasm. When you swallow the spasm stops. Popsickles, pudding, jello. Milkshakes are what kept my son (he was 14) and my g-daughter (she was 3) going.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2010