Super clingy 18-month old is driving me NUTS!! Please help me?

I am a single, sahm (no, not on welfare), and I have an 18 month old daughter. Lately, she has become very clingy. She will tug at me to go with her wherever she goes. If I walk away from her, she will grab me and drag me back to where she is.

At first, it was cute and flattering, but now it's just annoying. I can't get anything done, because she's constantly wanting me to be right next to her. I try to spend one on one time with her as much as possible, but I need to do dishes, prepare meals, go to the bathroom, etc too! I try not to, but I find myself snapping at her because I just need some breathing room!

Does anyone have any idea why she is doing this, and/or how to handle this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• This is actually a positive; it is a sign of how well bonded you are.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:56 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• You've got 18 more years to go. LOL
    Anonymous

• Just put your foot down with her. She has to learn that you can't have her atttached to your hips 24/7. Be firm and be consistant with her.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 9:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Get her involved in the housework...it might take more time but at least that where your bub is happy. Works for me.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 9:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Anonymous

• Could be a phase of separation anxiety. Children go through many phases of it and all different ages. I agree with keyaziz. What about getting her involved in what you are doing? That way you can still get done what you need to do and she can spend time with you as well. And who knows, maybe she'll get bored with it and go do her own thing.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:41 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• My DD did this and what it was, was she needed to show me the neat things that she was doing and learning, if you give in completely for a few times then say ok I have to go here and do this she should be ok as long as she gets some undivided attention. We don't realize that we don't concentrate fully on them until they point it out.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• sorry to tell you but it just happens especially when you are a single mom, you are all they now, and they get attched quick- with my son (now almost 4 and still a momma boy) we didnt live with his dad for the first 8 months of his life and he was a wreck when we first moved cause there were more people that were taking care of him then just me. they will eventually grow out of it -somewhat- just get a sitter and enjoy some time to your self everyonce in a while
    Dusti3

Answer by Dusti3 at 12:21 AM on Jan. 13, 2010