Is it possible not to be able to wear contact lenses ever again?

I have worn contact lenses since I was 16 yrs. old now that I am in my 40's my eye doctor tells me that I will not be able to wear contacts anymore (I did start to wear my glasses more often after I had kids....it was convenient for me at the time) Do you think by doing this messed up my eyes and now that I try to wear my contacts I can't focus very well? Or it more like they move around my eyes too much that I can not focus my vision is alittle off not clear but when they do settle down I can see perfect why don't they stay with the little weight at the bottom and just move alittle. I want to wear contacts on special occasions. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Health

• Find a different eye doctor. I have been wearing contacts since I was 13 and am close to 40 and can still wear them. My mom is almost 60 and still wears contacts as does my aunt. I even wear hard contacts and don't have an issue going back and forth between contacts and glasses.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:46 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I wore contacts for 20 yrs but they were the old kind (hard) and it caused ridges. I had a hard time getting the new soft ones and went back to glasses. There are doctors out there who have told me they can fit me with new contacts if I want them but I don't. I agree that you should find another doctor.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Thank you ladies for your answers...But why do they tell me this? Do they want me to go elsewhere? I don't get it....
    Anonymous

• Wearing glasses actually gives your eyes a break from the contacts. My dr always recommends going days only wearing my glasses. I'm only 23, have been wearing contacts since I was 11 but every dr since I FIRST got glasses at 4 years old said glasses are the best to wear. I would still try to find another eye dr! The only person I know who was unable to wear contacts anymore was my Grandmother AFTER she had Lasik which actually ruined her eyes (this was 30 years ago tho!)
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 11:41 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• My sister is 58 and has been wearing contacts since she was 12. If you see an optometrist, try an opthamologist.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:49 AM on Jan. 13, 2010