Giving water to a 6 month old

Our pediatrician told us we could introduce water to our son in a sippy cup. Does anybody else do this, and if so ... how much can their little bodies (kidneys) handle at 6 months (about 16lb) per day?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not more than one cup per day until they are 9 months it can deplete important vitamins and cause kidney issues.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:45 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I have never heard of that. Your pedi should be warning you against doing that!

Your baby is too young still. The main thing infants need at this age is formula, and to start experimenting with baby food but not for nutritional reasons.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 9:45 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I'm the original poster, our ped told us that it was to get flouride into him .... ?
    Anonymous

• My daughter is on vitamin supplements that contain fluoride. That way she still gets the fluoride, but doesnt get full on water which has no nutritional value.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 10:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Do you formula feed or breast feed? If you FF then if you are using tap water, and your city puts flouride in the water, he will get plenty that way.
    phantomphan

Answer by phantomphan at 10:28 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I'm breastfeeding, and delaying solids past 6 months
    Anonymous

• Your baby can get the fluoride needed through supplements. There is no reason to start that baby on water.
    Anonymous

• No need for water if you're breastfeeding. I would, however, suggest putting pumped/expressed breastmilk in a sippy if you want to start getting baby used to a sippy. The biggest reason MY doctor suggests starting a sippy with water around that age is so that it's easier to get them off the bottle at or shortly after a year. I'd hold off on the water though. But it's not like baby would actually get that much out for a while, not enough to do any damage anyway, I started mine at 5 months and they wouldn't even drink an ounce of water a day.
    Anonymous

• I give my 5 1/2 month old very small drinks out of a glass, not a sippy just for the experience of it. I dont give him enough to nearly fill him, just a sip here and there. I dont rely on that for his fluoride or anything like that.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 2:35 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• i gave my first son water in a sippy at bedtime, so he had less than 6 oz a night. the others didn't get it until later. i'm not sure why there is a concern with flouride, though. it is a known toxin which is why you aren't supposed to give flouride toothpast to a young one until they can spit it out. if you are breast feeding, then you are giving your baby exactly what they need.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:24 AM on Jan. 13, 2010