Desperate! Puppy had a broken leg and now the toe is swollen and hairless.

Her leg was broken but is now healed. I noticed this morning that her toe looked a little swollen but not really bad at all. Now, 5 hours later, it is very red and there is no hair on it. Plus there is one small cut that is bleeding a tiny bit. She acted like nothing was wrong all day but for the past hour she has been licking it.

I'm freaking out and don't know if I should wait until tomorrow early in the morning to go to the vet. Btw, it's 9:00 p.m. here.

Anyone a vet or a vet tech out there?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Pets

• Call the after hours number at your vet and ask the on call doctor they will tell you if it can wait, but I wouldn't if it is still swelling my dog had an allergic reaction and acted fine and she was in anaphalactic shock so they don't always know there is something wrong with themselves.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 10:06 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• You should take your dog back to the vet. If she keeps bothering it, it could get infected and only get worse. The vet may need to clean it up and put a bandage on it so she will leave it alone and it will have time to heal. Good Luck
    debddd

Answer by debddd at 9:42 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• this happened to my lab a few weeks ago..she had gotten bitten while outside using the bathroom..her one toe was so swollen and red all she could do was lick constantly..i did take her to the vet they examined and said it was ok for a few days and bring her back if the swellin had not went down..three days later it was still the same hairless and huge and red..my sd runnin threw the house accidently stepped on the toe and it burst around the nail bed and leaked nasty fluid..but gave her great relief..now its 100 percent healed..not suggesting stompin your dogs foot but maybe a vet can drain it..good luck
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 9:15 PM on Jan. 15, 2010