Desperate! Puppy had a broken leg and now the toe is swollen and hairless.

Her leg was broken but is now healed. I noticed this morning that her toe looked a little swollen but not really bad at all. Now, 5 hours later, it is very red and there is no hair on it. Plus there is one small cut that is bleeding a tiny bit. She acted like nothing was wrong all day but for the past hour she has been licking it.

I'm freaking out and don't know if I should wait until tomorrow early in the morning to go to the vet. Btw, it's 9:00 p.m. here.

Anyone a vet or a vet tech out there?

Sorry, I have this in the pet section but haven't gotten any answers and I'm desperate and in tears. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Oh noo, can you go to an after hrs. emergency vet? (((HUGS)))
    Anonymous

• im not a vet or anything but it sound like an infection, try putting a clean, warm, wash rag on it and then clean it with peroxide. Then put some antibiotic ointment on it and try not to let him lick it. That should keep him ok till you can see the vet:) hope this helps:)
    brees3

Answer by brees3 at 10:12 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Wash it with peroxide. See if you can see where it might be injured. It sounds like she got her leg caught in or on something and pulled. If the cut is deep or won't stop bleeding, she'll have to go to the e-vet.

After you wash it, dry it well. Cover it with gauze then wrap it, like a cast. Fasten in with a lot of tape. A lot of tape.

She is going to try to investigate this and remove the wrapping. She needs a cone-head, e-collar, lamp-shade necklace. If you don't have one on hand from her broken leg incident, you can "immobilize" her neck with newspaper. Fold the news paper to make a neck brace 1 inch larger than her neck. Use a lot of tape. It should be snug, 2 fingers should fit under it.

Take her in first thing in the AM. That will get you through the night.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:16 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• This might sound cheesy but here is my rule of thumb on deciding if my dogs need to go to the vet and how urgently...
    If I were experiencing the same symtoms, how would I handle it. Keep in mind, you have to do for them what they can't do for themselves. Good luck.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 11:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2010