24 month old need advice on displine

I'm a stay at home mom, and my daughter 24mths always seems to challenge me when i tell her not to do something. Its like i say don't do and then she does it ugh some days lol. so really whats the best way to get her to listen.

Also i have a different question on getting her to sleep in her own room. She sleeps with me and her daddy since she was born and i really want to get her to sleep in her own bed! I have and little toddler bed but then she just gets right out i put back in and she gets right out. I was thinking mabey getting a crib again and starting that way so that she can't get out..... i don't know help!!

chellyh

Asked by chellyh at 10:14 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We put our 24month old in her room with plenty of night lights and shut the door, sometimes she falls asleep on the floor but usually stays in bed. As long as her room is baby proof she will be fine in there. I know it will be hard but when she cries just put her back. As far a discipline try a time out chair of a time out play pen, it might take awhile but eventually she will understand that if you do something wrong you get put in the naughty place

brees3

Answer by brees3 at 10:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• use time outs put her in a spot in the house and make her stay there 2 min every time she gets up time starts over, be consistant do let her win, you win keep putting her back on time out don't hang around her and give her the attention just tell her the first time you put her there why she is being put there and what is expected from her then every time you have to put her back do not say another word just put her back don't give up no matter how many times she gets up just keep putting her back she will stay eventually, then after time out is over make her apologize then she can go back to doing what she was doing. As far as re-buying a crib don't bother she is 2 yrs old now she will be able to escape from a crib with ease by this age. Just do the same thing with the bed keep putting her in it and don't give up, if you are consistant you will win after awhile. Good Luck.
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 10:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Will the bed fit in your room? Even for a couple of nights? Some kids don't like too many changesat once. Maybe a new "big girl" blanket or stuffed animal that is only for in her room? Let her pick it out, but it has to stay in her room. And, yes, no matter how tired you are, keep just putting her back in bed. But don't make a big deal out of it. Don't even talk to her if you don't have to. Just pick her up and put her back. And really the same for discipline. You will find you are repeating yourself a lot now. lol. Just say no and into time out she goes. But only for a minute or two. Usually one minute for year of age.
    phantomphan

Answer by phantomphan at 10:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• well my DD is 26 months so i know exactly what you are going through. We have a time-out corner that we use and it works for the most part. As for the room thing i cant help you since DD has slept in her own room since she was 3 months old and has been in a toddler bed for about a month now.
    kanakake

Answer by kanakake at 10:26 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• We used a "sad chair" for timeouts. Whatever method of discipline and rewards you use, you must be consistent, always.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:29 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• consistency is the key with discipline. it can be difficult at first, butyou could try using to use do statements rather than don't statements may help. i think it is human nature to do what you are told not to do. i was a waitress forever, and 9/10 times, if you tell someone don't touch this plate it is very hot....they touch it! also, some 2 yo's need to make a lot of choices on their own. provide her with choices, like what to wear and what to eat.
    the sleeping in their own bed, we are dealing with right now. my dd will stay in her bed, but my ds will not, and now he can open the door too! after 1 1/2 weeks he will finally listen to my dh and stay in bed when he puts him there. We have a specific bedtime cd we use...it used to work!
    good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:13 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• There is absolutely nothing better than a good spanking. Children have to be taught to obey and respect their parents, and a little pain on their behinds goes a long way towards making it happen. You can't spank her on her diaper. She has to feel the sting of her disobedience. It is fast and it is effective. Once she knows you will use it, you will seldom have to.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:46 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I wrote a journal on how to get your child to sleep in their bed in their room - it DOES work...  MY SLEEP JOURNAL

As for normal discipline - That is simple. Be 100% consistent. 100% of the time. 1. Warning 2. time out 3. explain why you put her there/ huggs/ all over. 4. If she gets OUT of the time out - put her back, each time, no talking from you - no communication at atll. 5. If she is out & out defiant - SPANK - followed by a time out.

The key is CONSISTENCY.

RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:55 AM on Jan. 13, 2010