How to potty train an autistic child?

I have an autistic girl, she will attempt to use the bathroom when we take her, but how do you get them to understand that they need to use it on their own.

kybluekids714

Asked by kybluekids714 at 10:24 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I am in the same boat. My DS is 4 and still not able to use the potty. I'm at my wits' end.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 10:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I don't have a child with autism but I just watched my sister who has 2 kids with autism/aspergers and she said the trick is complete consistancy. She set up a timed routine where her kids got a reward every time they sat on the toilet and tried (an m&m), when they suceeded with pottying or pooping in the toilet they got a seperate prize (pooping= small toy// pee= lolli pop) so they could earn 2 prizes and she charted it so they could see their accomplishments. It took her a few months with each child. But she managed. I hope this is helpful.
    67mermaid

Answer by 67mermaid at 1:26 PM on Jan. 13, 2010