How can i get my 19mth old son to talk more?

i sing and talk to him and also try to push him to use his words but he gets frustrated and throws himself down and crys.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• just lots of patience :) my son really took to the "Bright Baby" books published by Priddy Books (visit www.priddybooks.com)...he LOVES the first words book with the fish on the front. it took him a while to start repeating them, but now he'll just sit there and read through it himself.
    retz

Answer by retz at 5:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• You are doing well with talking and singing to him, because that is how they learn. If you push him, and he gets frustrated then it can actually have the opposite effect and he will stray from enjoying the learning expierence. Something I got in the habit of with my 2 DD's is I would say the name of everything I was doing when I was playing/holding/teaching them. Make games out of the words like saying "cow" and then asking him "can you say cow, a cow says moo". If he gets distracted, then follow with his interest to keep him having a good time. The better of a mood he's in, the more willing he is to learn.
    lynenedubbels

Answer by lynenedubbels at 7:29 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Just continue what you're doing, children all go at their own speed. My son hardly said a word (besides saying "thank you") until he was 18 months old. Then he started a few more that he had previously attempted. Now at 20 months he has randomly started saying all kinds of new words out of nowhere!
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:35 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• My son hardly ever said anything until he was 2. He could speak, and understood everything I said to him, but didn't use his words. I freaked out and discussed it with his doctor. The first question he asked me was if Sam understood what I said. I said yes. Then he asked what my childcare situation was. At that time it was his grandmother's taking turns caring for him. The Dr. chuckled and said there was nothing to worry about, since Sam could understand and could say a couple of words his developement was fine...his only problem was he didn't have to talk...all he had to do was point and Grandma gave him what he wanted. (this was very true) He then said that Sam would speak when he was ready. I didn't like that answer but the truth was just a couple of months later he wouldn't stop talking!
    Iheartsushi

Answer by Iheartsushi at 3:19 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I talk to my daughter like I understand every word she says even though sometimes can't understand a word because sometimes kids get fustrated when they can't get there point across i've been doing this since she started saying her first word now she knows a lot of different word even a few I wish she didn't lol the key is patience.
    trying2staysane

Answer by trying2staysane at 9:25 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• and we also practice 1 or 2 words a day and we watch noggin I don't know if you have heard of it but its a great network for toddlers and preschoolers its designed especially for them my daughter has been watching it since she was 4 months old I think thats why she is so advanced for her age but u should really try it if u haven't already.
    trying2staysane

Answer by trying2staysane at 9:29 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I agree with trying2staysane. I have always talked to my children as if I understand every word they are saying to me. I will even respond with something like "Oh really, tell me more about it.". When They feel like they're getting their point across they are more likely to try and talk to you cause they feel like you understand them. Also, when you're riding in the car or pushing him in the shopping cart, talk to him. Don't turn music on or just sit there in silence. Talk about anything. Tell him about the things he sees around him or what the weather is like, whatever you do, just keep talking to him. He'll pick up on it sooner than you think.
    DevinAnnesmom

Answer by DevinAnnesmom at 2:25 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Just keep talking to him. Don't force him to talk, but ask him lots of questions.
    I have always spoken to my son. He had some speech delays due to ear infections and needing tubes, but his vocabulary now is amazing. More than anything, it's talking to them that matters. If they don't hear the words, they can't use them. If you push him and he gets frustrated, he may not talk because it's too much pressure.
    I'm sure he'll be talking up a storm soon, and you'll be wondering why you asked in the first place! That's what happened w/ my son, now...he doesn't stop talking unless he's asleep!
    DeylansMama

Answer by DeylansMama at 12:56 PM on Jun. 29, 2008