How can i get my kid off the Sippy cup at night time?

My son is 18 months and he sucks on the sippy cup like a bottle! He uses at night to goto bed and during the day. I know its not easy but whats the easiest way i can lean him off it and is he ready to be off it?

CrystalM53207

Asked by CrystalM53207 at 11:32 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• its very hard. the only thing that worked for me was just letting him know no more sippy cup all gone and getting him in bed, he will cry and fight even stay up longer then normal ( my sons bedtime is 8pm, ) but once he realised no sippy cup he did finally start going to bed quietly at 8 pm. he did cry he did fight scream ( cup cup cup ) u have to breath stay strong and move on. yes if hes getting hasterical u can go up stairs comfort him love him and again say nicely sorry hunny no cups in bed. hug kiss walk away it might take a few days/ week but they do learn to deal with out. it just stinks for us moms.. hang in hun and best of luck. xo
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 11:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Cold turkey. Trade sippy cup for bedtime story or extra bedtime story. Does he have a favorite stuffed animal if not get him one for bedtime.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 11:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• It's difficult but not impossible. I stressed to my son that he is growing up and is Mama's big boy and NOW has earned the right to the BIG BOY cup. Honey, I put one of those Burger King crowns on his head and bought a cartoon character mug just for him. I even wrote his name on it and pointed that out to him. He was so proud that everytime he asked for his sippy cup, he'd then remember (or I'd remind him gently) that he ONLY gets a BIG BOY cup now and would willingly ask or point for it. It's all about attitude, consistency and patience/tolerance.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 11:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• That is a REALLY good idea Ewadun :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• no, its not a bottle and if your just giving him water then I dont see the problem. I didn't make my daughter get off her sippy cup until she was like 4 or 5! and she's a well rounded kid with no problems. Relax!
    Texan1993

Answer by Texan1993 at 2:22 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• As long as it has water, don't worry about it

Answer by rkoloms at 6:56 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• As long it is water then let it be.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:09 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• The best way to do it is cold turkey. Tell him he is too big for a sippy cup and he will no longer be allowed to have it. He will protest, no doubt, but if you don't give it back, he will soon get over the loss. Just be prepared for him to make some noise because he will try to get you to change your mind.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:52 AM on Jan. 13, 2010