Can screaming at an infant damage growth? How? Know of any research to back it?

I'm curious if there have been studies of how screaming can affect babies. My dad just admitted to me that my mom used to scream at us kids so much when we were babies that he considered calling CPS. Kind of freaks me out to know that. Knowledge is power so I'm wondering if any of you have info to shed light on why people do that and how it affects kids in the long run.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• babies need to feel secure and safe. check maslow's hierarchy of needs.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 11:58 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• There have been studies that show that verbal abuse (including yelling) has the same effect to the brain of the child as does physical abuse.
    I can't site a source but that is what we are taught in my Early Childhood Education classes.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:08 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• There is ALOT of research to support that yelling is very damaging - google it! I have seen Dr. Phil talk about how yelling at or even IN THE PRESENCE of one's children is "an assault on their central nervous system." Do you ever remember being yelled at? I remember it when I was a child, and it absolutely felt just as bad as getting hit for usually weak reasons. I have caught my DH yelling at my baby since he was just a newborn! I explained to him that just because my son couldn't understand the WORDS, he certainly understood and "felt" the unwarranted and unfair anger toward him.

I used to cower because my mother's yelling was so harmful to me. I was absolutely terrified of her......Of course, now that I am an adult - I realize what a weakling she is, but when you are little - you are TERRIFIED of people who yell.
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 12:21 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• bump
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I am so sad because I yelled at my DD who is 18 months today because Ii just had surgery and she kept smacking me in my face thinking it was a game and it hurt really bad. So i got upset and smacked her hand. I felt SOO terrible. I started crying. I hate yelling at her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Your dad should have stepped up. Of course yelling hurts. Is there anyone who doens't mind being yelled at for a prolonged period of time? Parents abuse their babies for yelling. Nobody likes it. This is a duh moment people.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I was with my mom till I was 3 and taken away. All she did was yell and scream and because of that I feel like I'm a bad mother because a few times I have caught myself doing the same thing even if it's something little my daughter does. I have to sit back and leave the room to breath it out. My genetic bipolar doesn't help either but I deal with my shortcomings as best I can
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 AM on Jan. 13, 2010