Will a nose piercing leave a noticeable scar?

Been thinking for awhile about getting a small nose piercing. The scar from my previous naval piercing is huge and ugly; however my belly button has been stretched by 2 pregnancies. Luckily, no one sees it anymore. But my nose is right there in plain sight for the rest of my life. Eventually I'm going to want to take the nose piercing out--so what kind of after-effect am I looking at?

SuZ23

Asked by SuZ23 at 12:02 AM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• just a small hole, depending on how large of a hole you get. it will close or just tighten up. mine didn't leave a big scar and i can put one in or take one out whenever. if it gets infected though it could leave a nasty scar if you don't treat it right.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 12:04 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Eventually if you ever take it out, there will be a scar as with any piercing. It just depends on what gauge you have yours pierced with. Its probably a 16mm so itll be very small. But yes, it will still be there.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 12:04 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• just like a typical ear piercing scar.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• it will leave a noticeable hole in your nose!! I have a labre(sp?) or one in my chin I took it out for a long while but was so sick at looking at the hole that I ended up putting it back in, for some reason the inside will heal up but once your puncture the outside the hole remains there.
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 12:05 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• No, no scar. From personal experience. Neither does an eyebrow piercing. BUT my old navel piercing looks gross now after my pregnancy, I agree. Thank God our noses don't balloon out like our bellies. That would be an eye sore.
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 12:05 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I've had my fair share of piercings and nothing above a 14 (it usually goes 18, 16, 14, 12, etc) and YES it does leave a scar. Half of the time the hole doesnt even close up all the way. It really depends on how long youve had it and how well youve taken care of it. If the piercing is fully healed and youve had it awhile, chances are it has stretched out a little too...

Either its not going to close all the way or you will have the scar
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• As far as the labre piercing goes, I have had mine pierced as well, and yes that is true, it does close up on the inside but not the outside, which I agree is strange. As far as the nose piercing thing goes, I have seen many many women who have gotten their noses pierced then taken it out, and I personally couldn't see the scar! My cousin has pierced hers multiple times with no visible scar unless you are either looking for it, or know it's there! It will probably be noticeable to you Suzie, but not to anyone else, if you take care of it, which you seem like the type that would. So, If you want it I would get it done, but do not get it gauged to a larger hole, I'm pretty sure they pierce it with a 16 mm needle and put in an 18 mm stud/ring. I think it would look really good on you though and I think you should go for it!!
    Newmommy0411

Answer by Newmommy0411 at 12:33 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• No. I had mine pierced for about 4-5 years and took it out about 6 years ago. I have a miniscule scar, you cannot see it at all. An eyebrow pierce does leave a very big noticeable scar, tho.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:30 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• And WHY would you want to do that? Time to grow up, mother.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Jan. 17, 2010