If a major earthquake hit your area, and say your house is still standing.... are you prepared to survive for weeks without any help?

Like they did during Katrina?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• We live in a very snowy area that is earthquake prone and rural. I have a two week kit and a well stocked pantry for the house. I also have a lot of candles and an battery powered space heater. We have emergency kits in our cars that have a change of clothes, blankets, and about three days worth of food and water. I used to live in Colorado and I slid off the road and into a ditch on my way home. We had a house in the country and one in the town where I went to school. My mom and her boyfriend thought I had just stayed at our house in town so no one knew to look for me. I had a good coat and shoes but I was freezing! I had gotten one of those little partylite candles from a friend and I used that to warm up the car. I was out there for about twelve hours and it scared the crap out of me. I was 16 and ever since then I have made sure we are prepared.
    LuvNMyBbs

Answer by LuvNMyBbs at 3:47 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I had an emergency kit for a couple days. No, we are not prepared but we do have a meeting place and plans to loot the Thriftway of water if necessary. We'll pay them later, they know us!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Yes if we still had our home!
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 12:59 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Yes we do
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:59 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• yaaa, i think so, but hopefully will never have to find out
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:01 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I am in Iowa we have harsh winters and a crazy storm season in the spring we have to be prepared. We had a bad flood here almost 2 years ago. No celebrities or new crews came here to help us. We had no power for many weeks. The kicker was our town was hit by a tornado 10 days before the flooding happened our home was spared from the tornado we felt so bad for our neighbors who lost their homes. Turns out they were the lucky ones they were covered and we were not from the flooding. We pulled through but our fully paid off home was totalled and we had to start over and rebuild and now have a mortgage again. We keep a stocked pantry and have an emergency kit in each car in case we have to leave quickly again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Don't worry if there's an earthquake government aid will come to your door with food and water and lots of money. I'm sure not worried.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• OP here: anon :20, I sure hope you are being sarcastic.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I live in earthquake country and comparing earthquake to flood is like comparing apples to oranges, you wouldn't have to survive weeks on your own. Flooding covers vast areas and prevents access, while some access would be affected there would still be access in and out of the affected area. A flood hits everything in it's path, and earthquake affects some things but wouldn't affect everything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I agree with anon :20 & anon :34 - the government WILL help & because of the ability to get access to more people, unlike with a flood, there would be no need to suvive weeks. Maybe a day or two, & yes, we're prepared for those couple days. I'm not at all worried about that. Making it through the actual quake is more concerning to me though.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 1:57 AM on Jan. 13, 2010