OMG My baby will not sleep!

She is 10 months old and some nights its alright. Very few times has she slept all night. Most of the time she is up once, maybe twice, and will drink anywhere from 2-6 ounces and is back to sleep. Some nights she will sleep in my arms and when I put her back down she just cries. Other nights its like she is up every hour and there is no consouling her. I try to put her to bed anywhere from like 9pm- till whenever she is ready. And then she is up at like 7:30. My mom says that she she should be sleeping longer and more solid. Anyone else have the same issues? How can I get a better grip on this? Is something wrong with her that I just cant see?

MsMallory09

Asked by MsMallory09 at 1:43 AM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At this age your baby should be sleeping all night. They really do not need to be having the midnight snack. It is more of a habit now then a need. One way to break this habit is to give her a bottle of cool water. She may look at you like are you serious but after a few nights of this she will get the hint that its not worth getting up for anymore. next you need to set up a bed time routine. Babies need and crave structure. it makes them feel safe so if you do the same thing every night she will learn to be relaxed and sleep better. . Give her dinner at a decent time, give her a nice warm bath, rock her a littel and read a story then put her in the crib still awake. when she learns to put herself to sleep she will be able to do it when she wakes up in the middle of the night. Also not letting her sleep past 3pm for naps really wiull help because anything after that is actually cutting into her night sleep. Good Luck
    melliesmom1207

Answer by melliesmom1207 at 2:13 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• It's perfectly normal for her to still wake up and go through different sleep patterns and phases. My almost 10 month old will sleep great one night and be up every hour the next. They get a better pattern as they get older...
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:23 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Cosleep...

Answer by rkoloms at 6:26 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• There is an article in this month's Parents magazine on getting a baby to sleep through the night., but by 10 months they should be sleeping through.

Answer by missanc at 7:29 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• It is normal at this age to wake up. Teething pain is the main cujlprit. But this is also major growth spurt time so let her heat since she may be too distracted with discoveries during the day to really focus on eating especially if she's breastfed. Finally, if she's learned anything new lately and reached a new milestone this will also temporarily cause sleep disturbance -- think if it as being so excited or anxiouos about a new job that you hardly sleep because your mind is racing.

Adults also wake in the night and so do all babies. The difference is that adults may not remember waking, or if their needs are strong enough can take care of their needs themselves and some babies don't cry out for help.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:45 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Also if she's in your arms wait for deep sleep -- limp limbs, relaxed face, heavy head before putting her down
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:46 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• She's 100% normal.

They sleep more when they are ready to..."should" has nothing to do with real life, y'know?

Answer by gdiamante at 5:14 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I would say start her on a bedtime routine and make sure that when you put her to bed it's at the same time every night, even if she's not tired she'll start getting the hint after a few days that this is sleep time. Other than that it's normal for babies to wake up in the night up till they are around 2! All you can do is try to coax them back to sleep. I would say start the bed time routine at the same time every night and make sure to put her to bed at or around the same time every night as well. It could take a few days and nights of little to no sleep for her to get used to it, whenever she wakes up tend any needs (food, diaper.. etc) and then place her back to bed even if she is still awake. Leave the room, if in a few minutes ( you decide how long to wait) go back in consule her, but don't pick her up, pat her back or butt and just let her know everything is ok. Do this as often and as much as needed. She'll be ok.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 6:54 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I agree that this is normal. Heck, my 4 year old still wakes up almost every night, just for a hug basically.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:15 AM on Jan. 14, 2010