How does one relax her vagina? (no its not dirty sorry,)

Hey, Im a vary nervous person in hospitals, I dont know why.. Im 38 weeks and I need to go in for weekly checks and such, but even though I know its coming I cant help but tense up when they probe me. They keep telling me to relax my vagina but I just cant seem to do it, I make like yelps and such and its terribly embarssing, Im pretty sure it makes their job harder too.. could some one please help me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 AM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I use a focal point and stare at it and think of anything better some place relaxing, it is hard but you have to relax, and not think of what you are feeling.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:22 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I don't have any advice for actually relaxing the vagina BUT I wanted you to know that it's your right to refuse vaginal checks during labor so I'm guessing you can refuse them at your OB appointments as well. Really all they're checking for is to see how effaced you are and how many centimeters...but the fact is that baby will make sure you know he/she is on their way regardless of checks. I hope you feel better. I have the same problem with my gyn appointments.
    xElizabethx

Answer by xElizabethx at 2:28 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Relax EVERYTHING. If even my eyes are tense, my lower region will be as well. So relax your arms, your legs, your tummy, your chest, your butt, your neck and face (eyebrows, jaw, mouth, ears, etc.). EVERYTHING. And then you can fully attempt to relax your lower region. It works for me.
    Good luck!
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 2:51 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• OP here, I am SUPER grateful for your comments <3 But the thing is its like... I hop in the office and my OB and the nurse (who is a sour faced bitty, made of pure evil...) are like "Hi ! spread em! " -insert wacky soundeffect here- but hopfully if I tell them a need a few moments they'll listen.... its nice to see Im not the only one who doesnt like her cooter invaded.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:26 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• that is one reason i love my midwives! they leave that alone when you are pregnant. they only have ever done one check on me with 3 deliveries during labor. they asked permission first and apologized while going in, and thanked me when they were done. soooo respectful!
    there may be a link between your jaw and your vagina. i read in a birthing book that if you relax your jaw, your vagina will also be relaxed. i don't know if it is true, but it is worth a shot.
    Good Luck! Also, you can refuse the check. it is not really worth the stress, imo.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:18 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• the nurse (who is a sour faced bitty, made of pure evil...)  HA HA HA Great description. Does she have freezing cold hands too?

I just try to think of other things that don't involve vaginal probes. The good thing is that they're usually pretty quick in there. Think about a grocery list, or a fun movie, or anything.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:07 PM on Jan. 13, 2010