How good of quality are hair scissors bought from Wal-Mart?

I really need a trim but am having a hard time affording going to get it cut all the time. I want to buy some nice professional grade scissors eventually but for now is it best to not touch my hair until I get it professionally cut, use regular household scissors or use cheap Wal-Mart brand hair scissors?

Please let me know if you have experience with this or are a hair stylist. Thanks in advance! : )

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• My sister is a hairdresser and I have a friend who is one as well. They generally pay hundreds of dollars for their scissors. The rule of thumb is for every $100 they pay the scissors will last a year. A pro wouldn't touch those cheap scissors. You might be better off using good quality household scissors over cheap hair scissors. As a cheap alternative to doing it yourself or paying to get a pro to do it, you could go to a hair school. They're usually less than $10 for a haircut.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:47 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• PP is right, and if you don't know how to cut hair, ummm bad idea! I am a hairstylist and my last pair of shears cost $450! Why not try the local school? Most of the time instuctors help, and is usually cheap. Sally's beauty supple sells okay shears called 50/55 that have changeable blades, but your going to spend about $50 for them and $12 every time you change the blades ie,,,about every 4 trims, so I would just look for deals and stuff!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:36 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Thanks so much, ladies! I live about an hour away from any hair school and we only have one car between the two of us so that's another reason why I want to be able to at least trim my long hair in between.

I appreciate the advice! : )

I guess I did this as anonymous because I though I would be attacked for not supporting hairdressers.
    Sara.Robyson

Answer by Sara.Robyson at 12:34 PM on Jan. 13, 2010