stress

Does anyone have any suggestions for insomnia, or stress. I have tried counting, breathing, yoga, praying, candle light bathes, massage. My life is very stressful right now, I am going threw a nasty custody case, trying to help my children through their emotions from the things their father is saying to them, because of attorney costs we are living with my mother (oh boy) not to mention that we have had 4 family animals die in the past 6 months, and my husband is literally working 7 days a week, from 6 AM until at least 7 PM, so I have to be strong for him, I can keep it together for my kids and my husband, but when they fall asleep, I can't handle everything. Any advice is appreciated, I need to start sleeping, and stop worrying and crying all the time!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 AM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Try tea adn soft music. I adore the indian flutes always helps me relax.
    Also if you canfind like a rainstorm track that helps too. My grandmother use to listen to ocean waves in a tape.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:29 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• melatonin
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 6:11 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Melatonin is a hormone; it is produced naturally when you sleep in a dark room (I would avoid it).

Rescue Remedy is a good, short term anti-anxiety assistant.

Regular exercise (though not too late in the day) will help you sleep better, even a 20 minute brisk walk.

You may want to ask your doctor for a referral to a therapist to help you through this.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:18 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• i use a self hypnotic technique. i have been doing this for 20 years, i try to save it for emergencies. Imagine yourself in a childhood classroom. visualization is the key. Imagine everything...the other children, what they are wearing, their names, haircolor, your desks, chairs, floors, your teacher, her name, clothes, hair, voice. look around you, what do you see? your teacher stands at the front of the classroom and says, today class we are going to go over our alphabet. do i have any volunteers for the first letter? every time you raise your hand and everytime she calls on you. you go up to the board (is it achlkboard? black or green? is it a whiteboard, messy or clean? is the chalk new, or old, is the dry erase markernew or old?) and pick up the chalk and write A and a. your teacher says great job "your name" thank you. you go sit down, and the teacher says do i have any volunteers for the next letter? cont.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:03 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• and it starts all over again.
    i never get past letter e. sometimes it takes longer to get there though. what happens is your mind starts wandering toward your stressors, and you have to keep pulling yourself back into the classroom scenario.
    good luck to you and i hope this allows you to get a little more sleep.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:05 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Like me, it sounds as though you have more than run-of-the-mill, occasional insomnia. Most people don't realize is how quickly insomnia can become extremely dangerous. In addition to suffering from the loss of a great deal of your normal physical and mental capabilities in as little as 24-hours without sleep, within no more than a few days, any sleep-deprived person will begin to experience psychosis. And even though a good nights sleep will cure all of these things, if that doesn't happen they will only get worse. I interviewed about 6 different doctors before I found one who actually listened and didn't just throw Xanax at me. I've been able to control rather well with a mix of quiet meditation and yoga. I also use a white-noise machine at night. BUT, that said, I do take Trazadone once or twice a month to quickly end an episode those things couldn't prevent. Good Luck.
    patterns

Answer by patterns at 11:08 AM on Jan. 13, 2010