• In the Spotlight:

do you go to church as a family? can you tell me your church activities-schedule? With or without DH, kids?

Do you go alone? I have never been part of a church, my DH was raised Catholic. I like a church that feels happy, and fun, that I can get excited about - and am not really liking the catholic churches I have been to.... (I do not at all mean to offened anyone) I admit I am uneducated as far as any religion goes, but my heart is open. I am trying to find something..... any advice....??? We are starting our family and both agree we would like some faith at the core.... Its easy for my DH, but a little (I dont know the word...) different for me, not ever having any religion growing up.... Help? Advice? Suggestions? I just try to live a positive life, and make the right decisions, and help people.... I dont know who Jesus is.... at my age it is admitingly difficult to just wake up and say ok - i believe.... I want to... I just dont know what to do...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:47 AM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I didn't grow up in a church either. My husband and I both go to the same church. He was a member all his life and I joined 10 years ago. I love our church. We have three meetings. The normal what we call sacrament meeting. Then Sunday school and then a separate meeting for the women and men. Kids start at 18 months in the nursery then when they turn 3 they are in their own Sunday school. The kids start off either singing or having their class for their age. Then switch. The older kids and younger go at different times.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 8:17 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I have never been happier than I have in the church that I am in. The first time I walked into the church I felt so welcomed by all of the people there. My favorite things about the church is that we can be together as a family for all eternity, the bishop is not paid to "preach" and the money we do donate goes towards the church for new scriptures, building new buildings and helping out others who do not have much. If you want to know any more please feel free to send me a message.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 8:18 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Sorry I had to split it up because my answer was too long.
    ldsdragonmom

• I was in the same situation. I wasn't raised in a Church, my husband is Catholic. We went to a few Catholic Churches in the area and none of them felt right to me. We finally found a Church that is perfect. It is Catholic (and so am I now!) but it is not focused on sin and guilt, it is focused on the ever lasting faith Journey. Our Priest says that you don't make confirmation and then that's it you have graduated and now you have faith. That's not how it works. Faith is a process that goes on through out your life. Just because you don't have years of it behind you doesn't mean that you can't find it now. You don't have to just wake up and believe, you don't turn it on like a switch. Just read the Bible, find a Church where you feel at home, and always keep it in your heart.

The most important thing is finding a Church where you can feel comfortable nourishing your Faith.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:35 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Jehovah's Witnesses have two meetings a week (one on a Sunday usually and the second usually on a Thursday night the world over). Well, they are in two halves, so you could say we have 4 meetings I suppose as each half is on different things. Anyway, we take our children to every Sunday meeting (my hub' and I) and take the oldest 3 to the evening meeting, with us taking it in turns to stay back with our baby and 4 year old. Most of the times the 4 year old goes too but sometimes she's just too worn out or would be stressed and tired out the next day if we kept her up so late (we nearly always among the last to leave for home as there's always friends for our children to play or hang out with and ones we want to catch up with).

With the weather and hub' and I being ill, we've missed 3 meetings now and our children are NOT pleased with us! Ooops.
    JWMum

Answer by JWMum at 9:17 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• It's great that you are thinking about this before you have your family. My dh is also Catholic by birth,baptised and both parents are. My family is not. We have decided together to join the church (our kids are 9and 5) It is a process and since the kids are already here,we are having to take turns going to the classes. He will be done this year and I will take the classes starting next year since I am staying home w/kids while he goes. I think you should really educate yourself before making a decision because although I see nothing at all wrong in wanting church to a happy and uplifting experience if you don't really believe in Christ then why would you commit yourself. OP~search yourself and learn as mmuch as you can about religion. I pray that God will guide you in your search.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• We go to church as a family. I used to be very involved in several ministries, etc. Right now, I'm in a different phase and have pulled back from all ministries to get healthy and take care of only my family for a while. I do understand your wanting to be part of a community. My advice would be to keep visiting churches until you find one that is a good fit.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:50 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• My advice to you would be to pray. If you earnestly seek the Lord and want to know Jesus He will answer your prayers and direct your path to Him.......The key is you must pray from your heart. If you truly want to know Him He will not only lead you to Him but to a good church.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 10:40 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Personally, I like non-denominational churches. DH is the Praise and worship leader at our church. It is small, but VERY friendly. They "motto" is A place anyone can come to. Everyone dresses casually. The music is rock and lots of fun. Because DH is in the leadership, we are there from 7:30 until about 1:00. The kids have a lot of fun though and get very upset if we can't go. The website is www.gothope.cc . All of the services are posted there, so you can watch and see what kind of service we have.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 11:00 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• My husband is the youth pastor so on Sundays he needs to be there at 6 am. and he teaches 3 services. We wake up around 7am and get ready. We don't have a specific service time that we attend, we just pick which one fits our day better--sometimes it is the early one, and sometimes it is the late one.

I get the kids ready and we go without by ourselves. I put them in their classes and I sit in the main sanctuary by myself (well, I usually sit with whoever I see walking in at the same time : ) I would prefer to sit next to DH, but I have never done that, since he has always been in ministry!!! LOL. But that is fine. I try to sit in my husband's teaching as often as I can too.

Then Sunday nights, we all go back and I teach the high school girls. The boys have their own thing. Sundays are busy for all of us. But they are a huge blessing too : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:48 AM on Jan. 13, 2010