thoughts on different race dating?

My daughter is 13 almost 14 and her best friends in the world are of a different race. My family is afraid that she will begin dating the boys of that race and are already starting to voice their opinions on it to her. I love her friends and I myself do not have a problem with it when the time comes for her to start dating. My thoughts are u can't help who u fall in love with as long as they treat her with the respect and love that she deserves. Any thoughts?

steelergirlie44

Asked by steelergirlie44 at 8:32 AM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I'm with you. And if she sees anyone really dislikes it then she'll only want it more. If you trust your daughter then you should trust your instincts, Just make sure you get the why when who what where questions to be cautious.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 8:36 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• my daddy put great fear in me when i was a kid that i had better not ever date out of race...it was something drilled into my head so i couldnt help it. I respected him. I dont respect him so much now..i see what a piece of shit he really is. My sister rebelled against him and i guess always knew what a p.o.s. he was. I see nothing wrong with it as long as the person repescts you. There are disrespectful people in every race and they disrespect there own race so what does it matter.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:40 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I was 17 when I first liked someone from a different race...but my dad told me up front that he did not like it if I was to get involved...OK he let me know but as time kept on my dad would always be on my back about it which I believe it lead to something (he pushed me too much about it) I ended up falling for this person long story short we dated got married he cheated, divorced. So if you talk to her you can tell her your feelings but if she listens fine if she doesn't.... well...God Bless!
    It seems to be the trend these days for some reason (atleast more out in the open) that is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I love my children unconditionally so I don't care who they date, be it a different race, religion, background, etc... or even the same sex as long as they are happy and the other person treats them with respect.
    Maryellen

Answer by Maryellen at 9:05 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• As long as the person treats them right, I don't care who they date or marry. It's only skin, what's on the inside is what matters most.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 9:09 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• As a mom I wouldn't approve of my child dating somone outside of their race. There are so many people in the world why does girls have to date a man of another race? Just don't understand it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I think it's fine but the rest of my family would vouch otherwise. I never veered down that road as I caused enough controversy in my family when I went to homecoming freshman year in HS with a good friend. We went strictly as friends but still took pictures together and my family declined the pictures because they didn't want "that boy" in their house. My grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins throw out racial slurs every time they speak of someone that is not white. My cousin married a good looking black guy and had mixed kids and my family does not accept them. I secluded myself from that portion of the family as I didn't want to be involved in that. My mom was never like that and raised us differently. I can't change the past views but only teach my kids the right way to treat and look at people regardless of their race, as everyone is human.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 9:24 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I say that it is nobodys business what race they are, that is shallow and racist. I would be more concerned about possible cultural differences on how relationships are suposed to be. I would tell my family to shut up and leave my DD alone that she needs to make choices of her own in life.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:28 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I agree with you! all us of want for our kids is for them to be happy and race should not be an issue!

Answer by older at 9:28 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I would not care what the race is of who they date as long as they treat my kids well!

two, me and my best friend are different races. She has only dated her race. So, that assumption is wrong.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 9:29 AM on Jan. 13, 2010