I don't understand my 3 year olds actions.

We've been working on potty training , as you can imagine, off and on for a while now. Her sisters were completely PT a year younger than she is now. I didnt mind that is was taking longer and didn't press the issue. But she bagan showing signs she was ready, like hiding to poop and demanding I change her diaper after she peed. So long story short, she is staying dry, in panties, all day at daycare. And to this day I have never once got her to go on the potty at home. She deliberatly will hold it in, no matter how long I have her sit there, and will then go about 30 seconds later on the floor.

I have seriously tried everything I can think of. We have potty charts, books, panties, no diapers, treats, rewards, a portable potty, singing song, reading books....she just refuses to go at home. But I know she can do it bc she is doing it all day everyday at daycare. What can I possibly do to encourage her more to try at home?

munch12502

Asked by munch12502 at 9:19 AM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• this is an issue of control for her, there's something going on about the potty @ home that makes her feel like the only way for her to be in control is to not potty. Give her as many other choices as possible like picking out which color shirt she wants to wear stuff that isn't going to change the outcome anyway (she's still dressed, who cares what color she wears) vs things like when she wants to go to bed. Definately attention seeking behavior, sometimes the best thing to do is to ignore the behavior. Have you tried putting her back in diapers when she gets home? then whenever big sis goes potty reward & make a big deal out of it. Lil sis will get jealous that big sis is getting all the attention & will want to be rewarded too. Talk to big sis before hand & get her on board w/ the plan otherwise she'll just be confused about why she's getting rewarded to do something she's already doing.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:52 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Find out what they do there. It sounds like she is being defiant and trying to get you to take care of her she is trying to get attention.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:39 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• ask her teacher at her daycare what she does and follow suit. Good luck Im so glad that part of parenting is over for me!
    Texan1993

Answer by Texan1993 at 6:01 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• NtX7: I could kiss you right now. I tried that when we got home and all the girls got candy for going potty and she peed for me 3 times tonight. Oh my lord. Thank you for that great idea. And the other girls like this deal too!!
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 9:11 PM on Jan. 13, 2010