Question?

how do i increase my milk supply? I had my baby girl about 1 week ago and after i breastfeed her she is still hungrey and i have to give her some formula about 2ounces.. I dont understand what is going on.. Any advice

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yeast tablets, fenugreek seed, pump inbetween feedings (if she eats every 4 hrs pump the 2nd hour inbetween). there's a really good breastfeeding group on here that has some great suggestions but the above are the basics. Good luck mamma, hang in there & don't give up. Breastfeedings not always easy or fun but its important!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:55 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• how do you know she is still hungry?
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 9:52 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Do you pump? When I was breastfeeding the doctor said to pump often to keep my supply up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• she crys and opens her mouth and sucks on her hands..
    Anonymous

• I would pump like anon said ... but I would call your pediatrician and make an appt to see if your baby is gaining weight or not...
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 9:55 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• What makes you think something is wrong? Is she lethargic?
    If she's having 8-12 wet diapers a day she's getting plenty of milk. Do not guage your milk production by pumping output. Pumps are not nearly as efficient as a baby and many women can't pump at all. If you pump an ounce that is considered to be good.

Just because a baby will take formula from a bottle doesn't necessarily mean they are hungry. That young babies have a voracious need to suck. The sucking is what stimulates supply. PUT HER BACK TO YOUR BREAST if she wants it. Do not be fooled by the bottle...with babies it is swallow or choke when taking a bottle. And they will suck it down even if not particularly hungry if their need to suck is higher than their full meter.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:52 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• go to:   http://www.drjacknewman.com/     and    http://www.kellymom.com/     for details on how to check for the swallow sucking, proper latch, and other signs to watch out for.

At one week old that is one of the first growth spurts.  She will want to suck and feed almost constantly.   So again, put her to breast!

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:54 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• When you feed her and she still seems hungry, don't offer formula, put her back to breast. This will increase your supply, especially at such a young age. If you continue the supplements at this point, there is a risk of damaging your supply. If you're changing 6-8 diapers in a 24 hr period, she is likely getting enough. If I were in your shoes, I would toss the bottles and formula immediatly. I'd just nurse on demand, even if she just finished nursing. THAT is proven to increase supply. Make sure you're drinking. You can eat oatmeal, and drink Mothers Milk Tea if you really think there is a supply problem, but this all seems pretty normal for a newborn.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:10 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I thought I misread for a second. Anyway, 6-8 diapers. Not 8-12 .. Amilee wth where are you getting your information? I read in my BF handbook that it is 6-8 and 8-12 is formula not BF'ing. I mean they could have 12 diapers but 8 as a minimum?

Stop the formula. Put baby to the breast. Nurse, nurse, nurse. Drink lots of water.. This is NORMAL!! Baby will be glued to you - get a sling/wrap and learn to walk around nursing.. co-sleep, if not comfortable in bed lay on the floor.. watch movies/read books/whatever while she nurses with you setting.. Whenever she still seems hungry just burp and switch sides and keep nursing.. If you give formula you will fail at breastfeeding. Your supply will not match demand and it will continue to lower. This growth spurt will pass eventually!! Don't ask your doctor, ask an LC or IBLC about this - doctors know illness not breastfeeding! Join Breastfeeding Mom's.

Anonymous

• If she's still hungry you're not done feeding her. Dump the formula, put her to breast and leave her there till she comes off on her own. If you're timing, STOP. A breastfed baby should never never be timed.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:08 PM on Jan. 13, 2010