my son will not sleep through the night

My son is just over a year and will not sleep all night. He is a little small for his age so i don't mind waking up to feed him once but he will not go back to sleep without sleeping with me, He hates to sleep. When i put him to bed he screams and i do let him cry in the middle of the night. But i can only listen to him cry for so long. It breaks my heart. So he gets what he wants. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or advice.

kelka24

Asked by kelka24 at 9:51 AM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• how much is he napping during the day?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Some kids are just like that. It could be any number of things. He could just be a light sleeper so when people drive up the street it could wake him, or maybe he has nightmares. My kids are 3.5 and 2.5, neither sleep well. My youngest has NEVER slept through the night once. He is up at least once every night, he needs to know I am still there and then he will sleep the rest of the night just fine. My oldest has nightmares - BAD ONES! And those keep him up some nights. There isn't really to much you can do besides make sure that he is tired when he goes to bed. And make sure he is napping. Believe it or not a well rested child will sleep better than one who has missed his nap...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:59 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• he shouldn't need to bed fed in the middle of the night at that age. your doctor will tell you that as well. he might be crying to get his way, he knows that if he does long enough mom will give in. my daughter just turned 2 and she has been sleeping through the night for quite some time. sometimes she does wake in the middle of the night, i go into her room, comfort her while she is still in the crib, turn her lullaby sound machine on and leave. you need to break your cycle or you are never going to get a full night of sleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I think a lot of it may just be that he has formed a bad habit. He wakes up, cries, and you run to his comfort. Try not going to him right away, and then maybe keep extending the time to see if he will go back to sleep.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:05 AM on Jan. 13, 2010