What exactly does your Thyroid do for you?

My niece who is now 16 looks great...but about 2 years ago OMG! I was very surprised on how BIG she was..turns out it was her thyroid.

How does it work and where is it in our bodies???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Health

• regulates your metabolizm & some other hormones in your body
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Thyroid is in your neck. Go to webmd.com , it has more info on it.

Answer by louise2 at 9:55 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• it controls your metabolism and how fast or slow it should be working
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 12:21 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Your thyroid is in the front of your neck. It's a small gland that secretes a hormone that allows your other glands to do their job (pituitary, spleen, liver, etc.) The thyroidcan truly affect every function in your body. I'm assuming your niece had hypothyroid, which means hers was not making enough hormone. (that's my problem too) It can cause weight gain, slower metabolism, and makes you feel cold often, sleepy and slows your body down. I felt like I was in slow motion and I was tired all the time with no energy. Without the hormone, you can actually die, although it would take a long time. Too much hormone and your heart races, sweat a lot, get dizzy and out of breath, can't sleep, etc. Once I got on meds, I felt fine and normal, although my metabolism never has been the same. It's also a med that you MUST be on while pregnant, because without it the baby can have learning disabilities, low birth weight, etc.
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 12:56 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• The above answers are correct and let me tell you, you miss it when it's gone! I am a thyroid cancer survivor and my thyroid was removed 5 years ago in March. I take meds and will for the rest of my life though once a year I go off of them for testing purposes. I go off of my meds next Monday and will be off of them for 4-8 weeks because tumor markers were present in my Oct. blood work and I have to have more blood work done to see if they are still present. If they are I have to have a huge dose of radiated iodine. Which, btw, you NEED iodine in your diet to keep your thyroid functioning well. The thyroid absorbs iodine. As a result, people who have had thyroid cancer and who have to have low dose radiated iodine treatments and whoe body scans once a year also have to go on low iodine diets. That little gland controls so much!
    Anonymous