Health Insurance Question

Sorry I don't know what category to put this in. My DH's job provides Aetna, but you can only sign up once a year. But to cover my whole family it'll be $200 a month and that's $200 we cannot afford. My child is covered by GA's PeachCare, but my DH and I are not. He is worried that we don't have it. I really want another child but know we cannot afford one and he said if I can find a job to save up towards having another child then we can get pregnant sometime this year. But I've been looking for some time now for a full time job and have been to a lot of interviews and haven't found one yet. He is just worried that if we don't get it now something bad might happen. I said we could go w/the insurance the job I find offers but he is worried I won't find one (or one w/insurance) and something will happen. We already can't pay our bills as it is and I know $200 a month will hurt us even more. I need advice please!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• Here is what we do. My DH and I have pre-existing conditions and personally see no reason for health insurance to begin with... We went to the bank (credit unions have them as well) and started a HSA (Health Savings Account). We also carry a healthcare discount plan. Our plan costs about $50 a month and covers everyone in the house. Then we put about $75 - $150 in the HSA every month. Or one year we just put our tax money in for the whole year. This way when we need care we don't have to worry about paying for it. The discount plan helps to lower the price and the money we pay comes out of the HSA. So we never have to worry about out of pocket costs... And if we are ever in the Hospital the discount plan has a great program for that as well...  My DH was in for 6 weeks and we came out of it with almost no bill...

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I'm not sure why that came up as anon. I didn't mean for it too...

Here is the basic information on an HSA...
    http://www.ustreas.gov/offices/public-affairs/hsa/

Good Luck!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:39 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• If you cant afford it, then you cant afford it. Can you get a part time job in the meantime to make up for the 200, esp while you are looking for a full time job. Or can you make cuts in your budget anywhere else. I wouldnt bring up a new expense in hopes that you will find a job, thats not reasonable. ESP if he cant just drop his insurance at anytime. They will take the insurance out of his pay...so i would avoid it for now unless you got a PT job. GL with that.

Sabrina that healthcare deal you have sounds pretty good..its not offered in my area! Everytime someone posts something i would like to use or that could help me its never offered in my area!! GRR
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 1:50 PM on Jan. 13, 2010