question about cutting toddlers hair

My mother in law told me if I don't get my 2 year olds hair cut that when she grows up it will be thin a scraggly looking.
I have never heard that before, she has had a 1st haircut already but I did not cut her bangs (because I personally dont like bangs) and we just trimmed a little but off, I will get her hair trimmed but I am NOT cutting it all off, it is half way down her back and its beautiful.
so, Is my mother in law right? will it be thin and awful looking when shes older if I dont cut it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Hi I am a hairstylist and nothing you do to the outside of your hair can affect the thickness or texture,,sure your hair looks thicker when it is trimmed, but if you and DH have fine/thin hair your DD will probably be the same!! Your mother in law is believing an old wive's tale! I think not trimming the bangs is a good idea, you will be able to pull it back for her!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:30 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• your MIL is crazy LOL

my daughter has never had more than a trim either. My father refused to let me have more than a trim either when I was little. I have awesome thick wavy hair now. :D
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• It will thicken up as she gets older. I personally cut my kids hair once every month or two but it's because I have boys and I just keep it short because it's easier. But a few of my friends who have girls are only trimming their hair and it's beautiful. One of then have a 7 yr old who when she was 2 it was still a little thin but now her hair so thick and all they did was trim it.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 10:26 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Your mother in law is wrong. Cutting hair does not make it grow thicker or longer - it just makes it more even, which can make thin hair look a little fuller. My 2 1/2 yo dd has hair to her waist and it is very thick. I have trimmed it twice. Everyone in my family and my husband's family has lots of hair, and most of the girls did not get haircuts when they were toddlers - it's completely genetic!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• My hair was never cut off when I was little, and it looked fine. I had it cut short when I was 8 (by my choice), and it's been long most of the time since then, and I haven't noticed any difference between before it was cut and after, and my hair is one of my favorite things about myself (most of the time, lol).
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:26 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• She is wrong.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:09 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• you MIL is silly....thats an old wives tale.....My mom is a cosmetologist and thought it was funny when I read her what your MIL said LOL.....Trimming is fine which keeps hair from becoming brittle and breaking and having split ends.....It's your daughter so ignore her.....To avoid confrontations with my MIL I just say oh yea, wow ok....and walk away never thinking about what she says cuz my MIL is insane. LOL
    Anonymous

• Just keep the dead ends trimmed of on a regular basis to keep her hair healthy. Trimming it spurs growth, so actually, it will grow faster if you just trim. You don't need to go crazy and cut her hair, it sounds like a control issue to me.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:07 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Your MIL is dumb.
    Just keep having it trimmed to keep the ends healthy and to promote growth and it will be just fine.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:28 AM on Jan. 14, 2010