Left or Right-handed

When did you start noticing which hand your child used more? My daughter is 7 weeks now and we really think she's going to be left-handed.

Wheepingchree

Asked by Wheepingchree at 10:37 AM on Jan. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• at 3
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 10:41 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• When they start reaching for things.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:45 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Around 2. He ONLY uses his right hand to eat or write/color.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:45 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Around the time he started feeding himself...it is weird now though. He is 3 and a half, and he holds pens etc in his right hand, but he does everything else left handed. He eats left handed, he grabs for things left handed. My BIL is the same way, must be where he gets it from.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:48 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I think about the age of 1.5 years for my oldest who is now 4.5 years old she colors and writes with her left hand, but she does everything else with her right hand.

My youngest just turned 2 and I think she is going to be right handed I haven't really seen her write or anything yet, but so far I see her doing everything with her right hand
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:43 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Taken from (http://www.babycenter.com/404_when-will-i-know-whether-my-baby-is-a-righty-or-a-lefty_6716.bc)

"Your baby's preference for her right or left hand may start to appear as early as 6 to 9 months of age. Even so, you won't be able to determine true right- or left-handedness until your child is 2 or 3 years old, when she'll begin to favor the same hand consistently. And some children may be ambidextrous (using both hands equally) until they're 5 or 6, when they finally make a choice.

Hand dominance is greatly influenced by genetics. If both you and your partner are left-handed, your child has a 45 to 50 percent chance of being left-handed as well. (About 10 percent of people are left-handed.)"

My first would use her left hand quite a bit when she was younger but once she got closer to 3 she changed to her right. Know my 2nd child is a lefty. She is almost 3 and it is becoming more and more dominat. I am ambi
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 12:54 PM on Jan. 13, 2010