Speech Therapy @ 16 months old.

My doctor wants my son to go through speech therapy as he isn't saying any words yet. Has anyone else done this at this age? If so, did it help? And how long did it take for your child to start saying words??

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is 14 months. He started speech at 12 months so he's only been in it for 2 months and he's already started talking - he has between 10-20 words now and growing all the time!
    I had him evaluated at 10 months because he wasn't turning when i called his name and he has an older brother with autism so I made sure I was on top of things. Look at it this way - is the speech therapy going to hurt him? No, if anything at all it will help. My daughter who is now 8 went through speech therapy when she was young (same concerns I have about my baby) and by the time she was 3 she had clearer speech than most 5-6 year olds - it was beautiful!

Answer by missanc at 12:31 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• have you had your childs hearing checked? I know people whose kids didnt talk until after 2...i wouldnt worry about it. Its kinda weird that your doctor would suggest speach therapy at that age when most babies are only saying mama and daddy
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:02 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• No we did not start till my DD was 27 months. She was only saying 10 words at the time. For us it helped us so much. Within 4 months we say a big difference. My DD has speech delay. She is in kindergarten and still gets help. She has a hard time saying some letters. Like her "f's" sound like "t's".

At two we talked to our Dr about our concern. She said lets give it three more months and if she is still only saying the same words then we should look into help.

I don't know about that age but I really think it is kind of young to know. They say not till right around 2 there is a big word jump. I was getting worried with my youngest when she was 19 months old. But all the sudden a month later she started talking a lot.

But I don't know your child and what your DR see's or should say hears from your child.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:04 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Oh and I should say that when we decided to do speech. The first thing they did was check her hear. To make sure it was not a hearing problem. Before we started speech.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:09 AM on Jan. 13, 2010