• In the Spotlight:

Sciatica anyone?

I get acute bouts of this. I'm in the throws of one right now and feeling so sorry for myself.

Do you have ANY IDEAS of what I could do to help myself ?????? It's just miserable :0(

Thankyou to all who read and/or reply. xxx

JWMum

Asked by JWMum at 11:26 AM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Health

• Sister's BF is a cross country skier-- had sciatica and no one could make him better. A physical therapist started seeing him after he had a knee injury. She got him doing exercises for the knee and the sciatica and it went away in 6 weeks.

Sit up straight in a chair. Put your right ankle on your left knee. Press the right knee level with the left. Hold for 5 minutes. Switch legs. Do it 3-8 times daily. Like while you're typing or watching TV. Your muscles will get right and your bones will fall back into place and then your nerves will stop getting pinched.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:31 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• i developed sciatica during my pregnancy. that was two years ago. it reduced when i lost a few pounds by walking daily and i also tried massage. But the truth to the matter is that it has not gone away.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 11:45 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I used to work for a chiropractor, we are still very close and I can tell you that alot of his patients went to him for relief, even for your condition. When I first started working for him I was very sceptical about it. After seeing people carried in and that same person walking out was amazing. He has MD's, massage therapist, Dentist etc.. as patients and referred for care for treatment of headaches, migraines, TMJ, hip pain etc...
    It might be a good fit for you also...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:47 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Yes see a chiroprator. When I was pregnant I would get so bad that it hurt to walk or just move. When I was done it was so amazing how different I felt and didnto hurt. I use to get migraines and have not had one in 7 yrs.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:51 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I have the same problem periodically. It first started when I was pregnant with my first child. I was about 6 months along and had been having dull hip pain for a couple hours. I didn't think much of since I was pregnant, but then it got worse and worse and before I knew it I was in agony and asking my mom to call 911. I thought for sure I was losing the baby. She called the dr instead and she explained to us what it was. After that, it flared up on and off until I got pregnant with my son (5yrs later). And until then, it was only on one side. Then he managed to hit both sides, which made even moving difficult some days. It's better now but I still have pain sometimes. I know what you're going through.I was told that movement was one of the best things for it even though it's tough. Check out this site I found. You can always pm me too. http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exercise/overview-sciatica-exercises
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 11:54 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Definitely see a chiropractor

Answer by rkoloms at 1:23 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I would NOT see a chiropractor unless you know they are knowledgeable. I have sciatica and the moron chiropractor misdiagnosed me and made me suffer for almost a year before I went to a real doctor and found out what's up. She put me in Physical Therapy and I'm fine now. If you are pregnant then talk to your doctor but if you are not pregnant look up exercises for sciatica. If you can take Motrin, do so. It can reduce the inflammation. Mine is caused by a piriformis muscle problem so I have to walk and stretch and exercise to keep the muscle flexible so it doesn't push against that sciatic nerve. Exercises, although I hate doing them in general, are the amazing key to so many things like Sciatica.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:10 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Dr Oz just had it on his program. He said take Vitamin B especially B12 and to build up your core muscles (such as doing Pilates)

Answer by admckenzie at 4:49 PM on Jan. 13, 2010