My son is obviously ready to potty-train, but he seems terrified of his potty!

For a few months, my son (27 mos.) has been great about telling me when he pees and can even often go when I ask him to go. So we figured it was about time to introduce the potty chair. When I got it out he was really excited and knew just what it was for, and wanted to use it right away. So I undressed him and let him sit on it, but he jumped up immediately, crying and saying it was "cold" (yeah, we all know that feeling!). But now, he won't go near it. He keeps talking about "going potty" and WANTS to sit on it, but when it comes time to actually sit down, he backs away, wimpering. Is there anything I can do to help him get over this? We've let him watch us go, we've let him sit on it still clothed, all that introductory stuff, but it hasn't seemed to help. Do I just wait it out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You could try teaching him to pee standing up. You can put something in the potty to use as a target for him to aim at. They make little targets just for this purpose.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:43 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• my son is 26 months and hates trying to sit on his potty to go - he's only just started to tell me when he's gone so it will be a little while but he loves to try to aim at cornflakes and we have him doing that standing up... I am sure there will be pee everywhere but it could be a good start/
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:25 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• OP - All the literature I've read on the topic discourages teaching them to pee standing up at first... Among other reasons, once they learn they can do it without sitting down, they'll never want to sit down again! Even for # 2.... And that is one mess I'm not exactly keen on making a habit out of! But thanks for the suggestion...
    Anonymous

• I don't know what potty you are using, but you may want to try a different one. I use this one with my second.

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 1:04 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Why not get one of those seats that sits on top of your toilet seat? I had one of those for my first. It was padded and soft just like the soft regular toilet seats. It was his size, had handles, non slip tabs on the underneath side, and a thing that stuck up so he didn't pee all over the room. It was great and never too cold. One thing though, if you get one of those, be sure to also get a step stool so that his feet can be firmly planted on something solid or he may have trouble pooping like that.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 1:05 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• My dd was TERRIFIED of her potty! She always told me when she had to go but one day she just screamed and cried and would jump up and grab my neck when I helped her sit down.... so I switched to one that sits on top of the toilet and got her a stool (wooden one) so she could climb on and off by herself. She LOVED it! Never fell in and she loves looking into the water. I also put the other potty away for a couple mos and just brought it out now (she's 26 mos). She's fine sitting on the other one now as well...

The one we have that sits on the potty is actually foldable... no handles but you can take it out with you incase they get an urge to go at a store which my dd's first place of peeing in a potty ever was at Toys R Us. She loves it because it has Princesses on it... but mine is a girl too... so idk if this really helps. GL!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:30 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• If he see you going on the big potty maybe he might do the same that is how we started potty trainning our boy and if he goes in the potty reinforce him with something like we do skittle he gets 2 every time he goes and if he poops in the potty we have snow here and thats how we reinforce him
    monky2

Answer by monky2 at 8:10 PM on Jan. 13, 2010