Wii and Exercise

I'm looking into some games for a Wii that I can use to get me moving and hopefully lose some weight. I've heard good things about the Wii Fit, Wii Fit Plus, and Your Shape by Jenny McCarthy, but I want your guys opinions. They aren't exactly cheap, so I want to know what gets a thumbs up and what doesn't.

things_not_sane

Asked by things_not_sane at 11:55 AM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Hate the Wii Fit. You are required to have the balance board just to sign in, which means keeping an extra 6 batteries up and running, even if all you want to do is run. Running and freeform step are the only ways to actually raise your heart rate, the rest is start and stop fluff. I haven't read much on Your Shape yet, giving that one at least 6 months to hear more real reviews instead of just the paid ones. For right now, the best bets are EA Active and a lot of people love Gold's Cardio. I also like Active Life Outdoor Challenge, and it's good w/ kids too.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:00 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I have the Wii Fit and I do enjoy it. There is enough activities to keep you interested/busy for a while, but after a few months you may find yourself bored of doing the same old things like I did. I still would recommend it overall though.

Another GREAT game I just discovered this past weekend for Wii is Just Dance. I don't know if you enjoy dancing, but if you do this is a perfect game for it. We had it going during a family celebration and kids, adults, everyone was getting involved. Even the little ones were working up a sweat after a couple of songs! You don't need any "dance mat", you just hold the remote and try to follow a routine and as you get better you unlock more songs, dances, etc. I will be buying this game for myself ASAP because after seeing it in action I feel that I would get just as much, if not MORE exercise doing this than the Wii fit and I love to dance (when no one is looking of course) Good luck!
    Comfycozy77

Answer by Comfycozy77 at 12:01 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I haven't tried any of them but I've heard great things about the Wii Fit Plus. Also, since we finally got a Wii for Christmas, I'm thinking of trying the EA Sports. That one looks like a lot of fun. Anyone tried that one?
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 12:02 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Just Dance, huh. That sounds awesome! I'll have to check that out! I could totally see myself playing that during nap time... and maybe I can get the hubby into it with me too! lol! I know the kids would have fun with that!
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 12:08 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I like the Wii Fit Plus. I just got it for Christmas. I like that you can choose to make your own routine. It keeps track of the calories that you burn and your progress. I also love the other activities too. I would reccomend it
    katiecat87

Answer by katiecat87 at 12:40 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I love the WiiFit Plus - I've had the WiiFit for a year now and like it as well. I was losing weight using it until I got pregnant, my dh is using a combo of the elliptical machine at his work during the day and the Wii at night, and he's losing weight but I don't know which it's from or if it's the combo of both.

Answer by missanc at 1:52 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Just wanted to give you an update. I went and bought the game Just Dance and love it. GREAT cardio exercise! Me and the kids just did it and I am worn out but we laughed so hard!
    Comfycozy77

Answer by Comfycozy77 at 4:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2010