Are you color blind?

My husband drives me flipping nuts being color blind. He knows and admits he's color blind, but will still argue with me on colors. If he pulls out a navy blue and black sock, both are black to him. Purple, red, pink and magenta are the same color to him. He's even had me thinking maybe I was the one color blind. Every time he gets on his color blind argument I have to pull out my paint fan swatch from Sherwin Williams and compare colors so he can see the name next to the color.

What's different or missing in the eye sight or brain of people who are color blind? I would like to know what the hell my husband is seeing. He seems to pick up colors on the TV mighty fine, just not actual objects.

momtotrips

Asked by momtotrips at 11:58 AM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Brain damage can be a partial cause but mostly it is the eye itself. Spevifically the retina. Men are far more likely to be color blinfd than women. Usually they are missing 'cones' in the macular area of the eye. We all should have cone in three primary colors, from which all other colors are made. If you are missing one of those colors then everything is skewed. Retinal damage can also be a cause of color blindness. My husband is profoundly color blind. I have to label areas of the grawer and use dividers . Black and blue are the same to hi,. Green and brown are the same to him. He can pick up that someting is of a red hue...but not where on the spectrum. So I hang his dress pants and dress shirts in a color coded way. It is second nature to us now. I've been doing it for years.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:06 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• http://colorvisiontesting.com/
    Here's a good site to get more info on the subject..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• My nephew is and I feel bad for him. But I guess you can't miss what you never had. I dated a guy once that was, and he built a house and I had a wonderful time shopping for all the carpet, curtains bed spreads etc with his money because he could not match things to save his life.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• My husband is partially color blind....he is red/green color blind. The way he describes it to me is if the color has less then 50% of the color he can't see it....like he can see Kelly green but army green looks brown to him, red is ok but pink is tan to him. That kinda thing. Black and blue also he has trouble with. The way we deal with it is every time I buy him something new I label it with what color it is. Then I take the new clothes and make a few different outfits for him....I just bought him 7 new pairs of pants for work and I took out a bunch of dress shirts showed him a few options for each pair of pants and ties and now he just knows it. As for socks (sounds weird but these are a big problem for him) I only buy plain black socks, blue socks have a pattern and brown socks are ribbed but solid ( does that make sense?) It's just a habit for us now since we've been doing this for 7 years.
    mere417

Answer by mere417 at 3:52 PM on Jan. 13, 2010