A question for knowledgable Catholics...

My dd will be 10 when she is Baptised into the Catholic Church. I amm wanting to buy her a dress for the special day. I am curious if it must be a completely white dress or does it matter if it has a touch of another color? I know that a baby is Baptised in a white gown and I have seen adults wearing a white garmet that church has them put on,what should my dd wear?

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 12:19 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It isn't a requirement that her dress be white. What you described sounds lovely! Congratulations to your daughter!
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:28 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Just like the above poster stated, there isn't any requirement in the color. Congratulations to your daughter.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:37 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• The dress doesn't have to be white, even for an infant.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:28 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Congratulations! As others have said, the dress does not have to be white. At our parish, we present the child with a white garment (sort of like a smock) which is put on her during the cermony. The religous education director at the parish should be able to give you more information.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 2:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I am not Catholic but I am a Christian. I dont see why the color of her dress is relevant. What is the priest going to do? Turn your child away because there is some pink on her dress? I was raised Catholic because my parents are. That is why I am not anymore! What a vain thing to have the church control. Any concern with the color will be coming from the congregation, not God. I was baptised in a Church of Christ in sweatpants and a t-shirt (we fully dunk people under water) Dress her in what SHE wants to wear, TRUST ME, Jesus wont be mad.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• amber, did you by any chance read the above post in which it was clear that the dress does not have to be white and therefore the church DOES NOT control this. Concluding that your entire response what to have a quick opportunity to make a dig at the Catholic Church.

Trust ME, on that Jesus DOES mind! Don't forget he sat down with sinners.
    Anonymous

• I also wanted to add, my children's dress has a pink flower on it.
    Anonymous

• I think it sounds lovely! Congratulations to your daughter. : ) Blessings always.
    Anonymous

• wow Amber, you might want to try reading the responses before you let your anti-Cath bias show. People choose to wear white as a symbol of being cleansed, as was pointed out by FOUR people who posted before you. I don't see wear she indicated that she thought Jesus would be mad, what a weird assumption for you to make.

I'm not sure where you think vanity comes into this but what do you think it is called when someone accuses people or a church falsely?
    Anonymous

• Oops, got interupted in the middle of the post above.

What was pointed out by four people above you is that it isn't a requirement - it's a cultural tradition. No one get's turned away because they don't have a white dress.

And I am curious about this statement of yours - - - I was raised Catholic because my parents are. That is why I am not anymore!

Does that mean that you expect your children to reject the religion you are raising them in because it's your religion?
    Anonymous