why is my baby so LIGHT???

i'm asian and my culture has a fairly darker tone than other asians. but my mother is super super light as if she were white, but my dad is super dark so i came out pretty in the middle. Than i got married and my husband's mother is brown skinned and we're not sure about his father but most likely he's light skinned with some red thrown in there because he's pretty red and light skinned. but when our baby girl came out she was pretty light. like....white light. but she has a mixture of our hair. has this ever happened to anyone else???? why is my baby is light skinned??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Health

• Genetics are funny like that. You and your husband both have dominant genes and recessive genes. If you both pass on a recessive gene for light skin, then that's what your baby gets. Any children that you two give birth to will have a 25% chance of having light skin, a 25% chance of dark skin and a 50% chance of medium skin.
    I have a son with red hair. My husband and I are both blond and our other child is blond. Also I have green eyes, but both of my parents have brown eyes. It's just how it works, your DNA carries the dominant gene, which is what you have and a recessive gene that comes from somewhere in the family.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 6:32 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Sounds like "light" runs in both sides of the family tree. Sounds normal to me. Why are you worried???
    Anonymous

• genetics can be funny that way.some babies darken as they get older.no sun in the womb to darken them,just kidding!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 12:28 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• A lot of darker-skinned children are light at birth. It happens.
    Anonymous

• she's lighter thn me and my husband nd we get weird looks and comments when we tell people that "yes, he is her father" or "yes, i am her mother" even the family thinks something's up, like i cheated on my husband or something.
    Anonymous

• How old is she? Babies are born very light but do gain their pigment as they get older. It could also be she got the lighter genes.

As far as what others think, I'd ignore perfect strangers, it's none of their business and family shouldn't even be questioning it.

Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 2:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2010