I WANT TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL.....???

Hey everyone! I want to go back to school but I dont know what I want to go for? I want to go to a community college and not a university but I have no idea what I want to do for my job...???? I am only 22 years old and right now I am staying home with my little 4 monht old daughter but I do want to go back to school... Please help me!!! Give me some ideas, I think I wanna work in healthcare because thats where I have always worked but maybe not.... Just give me some ideas PLEASE!!! :) Thanks!

heatherjenea

Asked by heatherjenea at 12:32 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in

• Medical transcript you can even find a job at home if you have a degree in it.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:35 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• well, first off you are going to be spending some time taking general courses, like math and english and computers. Talk to an academic advisor and get started on those classes. They can also help you decide what field you can major in. I originally decided to go for a medical assistant, then after some investigating decided to go for nursing since the job i had paid just as much as a medical assistant did, so why not shoot for more. Well, i hated the classes and i never even got into the nursing program because i decided it wasn't for me. So, my point is, get started with all your pre-req classes and go from there. You may change your mind a few times if not more.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 12:37 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I think most medical jobs are in pretty high demand. You could become a medical office assitant, a nurse, some sort of technician (X-Ray, Ultrasound, Etc.). Look at your community college(s) and see what programs they offer and go from there. GL!
    Anonymous

• There is a fantastic book called What Color is My Parachute. You should be able to find it at your local library.

That said, there are careers that you can't imagine. Start at community college, get your general education requirements out of the way, and discover your passion...

Answer by rkoloms at 1:11 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Yeah, before I had my little girl I was in college for a year and a half. Just taking regular classes and I didnt know what I wanted to do then and I still dont know.... But thanks for the help! :)
    heatherjenea

Answer by heatherjenea at 2:44 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I know with having a baby at home, it might be difficult to do this, but if it at all possible, I highly recommend spending some time "job shadowing" or observing people who work in careers that you might consider. Once you come up with some careers that you might like, call up some businesses & ask if you can come in to observe and/or talk with someone in the profession. Right out of high school I thought that I wanted to work in the health care field. I went to college for medical assisting & enjoyed my classes, but once I got into the last quarter of school & had to do an externship, I learned that it was not for me. It was too late at this point to do anything about it so I finished up the quarter & graduated. I returned to school in 2004 for teaching & I have enjoyed my time in the classroom. I think that observing & talking with others in the profession is one of the best ways to learn if a career is for you or not.
    soccermom0002

Answer by soccermom0002 at 4:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Your first year or two of courses are gen ed courses and won't really center around your career path anyways. My best advice is to take your core classes and see what you like and enjoy. If you are interested in the health field, you may want to look into local colleges (whether it's one you attend or not) for speakers on the subject. A lot of speakers are open to the public and many focus on their actual occupations. No one can tell you what you'd be good at or would enjoy but nearly all schools will have guidance counselors and career advisors.
    jendechant

Answer by jendechant at 8:16 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I think soccermom0002 has a good idea. good luck.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:05 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• xtwilightx has some awesome advice. I changed my major I don't know how many times. Just get your aa/ as then decide.
    LiloViet

Answer by LiloViet at 5:19 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Well I am in school for x-ray tech and I personally LOVE the medical field. I have been a CNA since age 19...30 now:) I suggest research the different jobs in the medical field. You can also go to the community college and talk to a career counsler and they can help you understand what the different jobs entail. I did this when I was undecided between a few different majors. I suggest you start taking basic general classes that can go for genrally anything and research as you go. I wished I would of done this but NO I waited till I knew and then wasted time and in my state there is a LONG wait list for the xray tech program so I regret waiting to do my generals till I knew! The medical field has many different jobs I would go online and see what your local community college offers and take it from there. I researched alot before I decided!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 10:10 PM on Jan. 20, 2010