how to stay calm with my baby

i get anxious when im nervous and i have my daughter with me

loveaubrey

Asked by loveaubrey at 12:48 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's hard to give advice without a little more detail about what situation you're in... but if you're somewhere that you can put baby in a safe place (crib, stroller, highchair ect) it helps. If you are at home, put baby in a safe spot, and go to another room. Close your eyes and take some deep breaths. Gather your thoughts and then go back to baby. As long as he/she is safe and secure, it's ok to let them cry for a few minutes so you can re-group. If you're out and about, you can do your best to do the above, but it's not always as easy. try finding a quiet place to sit or at least be alone. The breathing part is what's important. Hold baby and try to sooth him/her by humming or gently patting their back. If you are anxious, baby will be anxious. I hope this helps.. If I'm off base on what you're asking, let me know! I'll re-answer the question!
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 1:00 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Hmmm. I have always found holding a baby to be very soothing; breastfeeding even more so.

You may want to ask your doctor for a referral to a therapist - someone to help you discover what is triggering your anxiety, and why.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:01 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• oh wow that is sooooooo normal. How was your own upbringing from your parents or family who raised you? If you were raised in a way that thinking back comparing your upbringing to other kids you knew then and how kids are raised now - if your own raising in comparison was good then fall back on that for guidance.

Do you have a mother figure in your life, a friend even you age who's mothering years are a bit more than yours or an aunt or grandmother, your own mother ----- who you can call to share experiences with?

I came into this cm with kids who are grown and growing - and I had some very tough times for many years disciplining on my own cuz my husband wasn't around much. I fell back on for support then how I was raised compared to those who I knew for sure were raised well. I drew from all that because that's what confirmed my strength in mothering and ways to love my kids.

CM does have lots of groups, just look!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 1:11 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• You may have post partum depression. It's perfectly normal and the best thing you can do for you and your baby is to talk to your doctor about it and get a referral to a psych. so that you can get a proper evaluation. Another thing that helps with anxiety is controlling your breathing. Close your eyes and take deep breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth. Singing to your baby helps with your breathing too. When I start feeling really anxious, I hold her close and sing to her and feel better. Good luck, and remember this isn't permanent.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 1:39 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• thanks for all the advice im getting better i have my mom she amazing with aubrey and me i love her alot and im in support groups
    loveaubrey

Answer by loveaubrey at 12:08 AM on Feb. 3, 2010