What is your opinion on this matter?

I bought my son a toy gun that shoots the little foam darts with the suction cups on the end very harmless and just thought it would be something fun for him to play with it came with a little target to hang on the wall to shoot at and he loves it!! , I've taught him that you do not point it at anyone even the dog. So my MIL came to my house saw it and told me that I had made a very bad decision as a parent for the purchase of a toy like that. Just wondering what you ladies think??

jsimonds220

Asked by jsimonds220 at 12:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i am not a believer in guns.. but as far as toy guns go... then i say it is absolutely fine. it is just foam darts and that is fun. and it seems to me that you have taught him good principles. ignore you MIL.
    Anonymous

• Sounds harmless to me especially since you told him to never point it at anything.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 12:55 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• oh gosh my son and hubby play gun fight .. so i must be a mad mom..
    Anonymous

• You're the parent, not the MIL... If you choose to allow guns in the home, then you have every right to do so. What do I think? Well, my DH and I have agreed to disallow anything gun-like in our house. She once got a scary looking guy in a Happy Meal that had a gun for an arm and asked, "Momma, what's that?" I told her that it was a flashlight. She's only 2 and 1/2. She can learn about the craziness of the world when she's older. :-)
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 1:02 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Wait until you get shot in the EYE with one of those effing darts. OMFG HURTS SO BAD!!!
    Anonymous

• You are the parent.

I have water guns for the tub and when we play in the pool. My SIL thinks it is aweful that I let my girls play with them. She says I'm teaching them it is ok for my girls to use guns. But it is ok for her to let her son play with swords. That is a little two faced to me. Come on I played with water guns when I was little and did not think it was ok to go around shoot guns as a adult. I understood guns are dangrous.
    Anonymous

• I don't think toy makers should even make toy guns..It just shows kids that it is cool to shoot things and have a gun..
    Anonymous

• My son had toy guns. He was taught properly. There were guns in my house growing up. I was taught properly. We are not violent individuals. Neither of us would consider shooting folks. It's how they are taught. My opinion.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• We don't do guns at our house, but my husband and I also don't have guns. We have friends who hunt, and their kids have toy guns. I have girls, so that's probably the difference. I just see other kids being told they can't shoot at people with their toy guns, but I haven't ever seen them follow the rule.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 1:56 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Oh, but to fully answer the question, that is not a terrible parenting mistake! It's not a mistake at all. It's a preference for you and you family. There isn't anything wrong with it.
    whiteroses82