I need some dinner help ladies.....

I am trying to streach my food budget by using leftovers better.

I currently have a bunch of leftover steak and a bunch of leftover roasted chicken and mashed potatoes..

Do any of you know of any good recipes that would use these up quickly and cheaply?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You could make a shepherd's pie with leftover meats and mashed potatoes...it's really simple and quick and can be somewhat customized for taste (can mix meats and veggies with tomato sauce, broths, gravy, cream soups etc, veggies can be your choice, can leave potatoes plain or top with cheese etc)

I also make potato soup with leftover mashed potatoes. Add milk until thick soup consistancy. Add crispy bacon bits, cheese, fried onions etc to suit your tastes.

Steak and chicken quesadillas: 2 flour tortillas, shred or chop meat, cheese ...either use quesadilla maker, or heat both sides (like a grilled cheese) in skillet
    mystiquepa

Answer by mystiquepa at 2:35 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• You could make open faced sandwiches with the meat and potatoes just add gravy and maybe some veg. and fruit on the side..Or you could make steak and chicken tortillas with the meat just add some rice and veg..

Anonymous

• What about making a casserole out of the meats top with mashed potatoes and maybe some chez melted on top. Have it with a veggie, salad and rolls.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:12 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• you could put either the chicken or steak into tortilla's and make taco's!
    Depending on how much chicken you have left you could put it in a dish, then arrange the potatoes around the chicken, cover with cream of mushroom soup, bake until warm. They both would go good on Salads
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• first recipe my mom always did with some of the leftovers was soup. i make a similar dish to what at popeyes. shred or chop the meat and it to more gravy. then layer it with potatoes, veggies and top it with the meat and gravy. they love it. and it stretches the meat if there wasn't enough left.

Anonymous

• Layer it all and make a pasta less lasagna, with your favorite cheese.

Answer by older at 1:16 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• chop up the meat and make a stir fry with veggies and make mashed potato "pancakes"
    lildudesmomma

Answer by lildudesmomma at 1:52 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• steak fajitas, chicken fajitas
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 1:54 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Dried beans and lentils are the best budget stretchers. Send me a message offlist if you would like some recipes

Answer by rkoloms at 2:12 PM on Jan. 13, 2010